Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beau's Vrienden - collaboration with De Koningshoeven

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Brews Phillips

Beau's Vrienden - collaboration with De Koningshoeven

Post by Brews Phillips »

From the Beau's website:

"To commemmorate the 65th anniversary of liberation of The Netherlands by Canadian troops, this special beer was commissioned by the Dutch embassy. A collaborative effort with De Koningshoeven brewery, this cloudy wheat beer uses organic juniper berries and maple syrup as a way to feature traditional ingredients from both countries."

"Vrienden is exclusively available at The House of Orange, 56 Byward Market Square, Ottawa"

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Yeah, talk of it has been hidden in a couple of the other threads. Good stuff, my review's up on the Reviews forum. Had a run at it yet BP?

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Bytowner wrote:Yeah, talk of it has been hidden in a couple of the other threads. Good stuff, my review's up on the Reviews forum. Had a run at it yet BP?
No, and I walked right by there the other day without even knowing about it. Is the Beaus served only during the events or can I go anytime? I've never been to the Mercury Loung so I'm not too sure what it's all about.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Brews Phillips wrote:
Bytowner wrote:Yeah, talk of it has been hidden in a couple of the other threads. Good stuff, my review's up on the Reviews forum. Had a run at it yet BP?
No, and I walked right by there the other day without even knowing about it. Is the Beaus served only during the events or can I go anytime? I've never been to the Mercury Loung so I'm not too sure what it's all about.
As far as I could tell anytime. Mercury Lounge is a pretty casual place. I got there at around 7:30 for a concert that started at 8, there were a few people in booths who didn't go to the concert and they were all drinking Vrienden. It's cool. Little dark though.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Picked up two bottles from the brewery yesterday. Not readily available but if you "ask nicely" you might be able to get some.

I love visiting Beau's Brewery.

Queef

Post by Queef »

cfrancis wrote:Picked up two bottles from the brewery yesterday. Not readily available but if you "ask nicely" you might be able to get some.

I love visiting Beau's Brewery.
good too know! sounds like it'll be a great trip this afternoon!
it's beer o'clock.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Have a bottle on my desk and looking forward to trying it.

Anyone who has bothered to listen to me yak on at beer festivals over the past couple of years has known that I've long been an advocate of Ontario brewers doing collaborations with foreign brewers.

Not only can a brewer leverage the cachet of someone else, it's a way to get a foreign brewer's "beer" into the province without all the hoops of the LCBO and other red tape. And it builds an international reputation for our brewers and does a little bit to loosen the insularity in the province.

I've been hoping for this for a long time and am very happy to see it come to reality. Well done Beau's.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Cass wrote: I've been hoping for this for a long time and am very happy to see it come to reality. Well done Beau's.
Funny though, that it was actually the initiative of the Dutch Embassy that got this thing brewed. Maybe we should let them run the LCBO.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Bytowner wrote: Funny though, that it was actually the initiative of the Dutch Embassy that got this thing brewed. Maybe we should let them run the LCBO.
And the Belgian Embassy could take over TBS! :-) Actually, that's pretty cool. Wonder who the Dutch beer fan is who dreamed up this idea.

I finally made it to the Mercury Lounge on Saturday and got to try both the Vrienden and the Quad. Chatted a bit with the manager who said she had quite a few requests to keep the Quadruple on tap after Dutch friendship week. Here's hoping. :D

And the Beau's website says that they may bottle the Vrienden as a limited release in the future.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

How'd you like the Vrienden BP?