Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Kichesippi Beer Company is set to purchase Heritage Brewing

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Well on my (old) "How's Your Scotch Irish?" threadthe brewers specifically addressed that they were working on known bottling issues, so possibly the year-plus since that time has not been a winning battle for them... ?

A little doubt makes for a lot of buyer hesitation, that's all I'm saying. I wish 'em luck.
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Considering my recent experiences with Heritage/Scotch Irish products, any change could only be for the better. The SI line of beers are barely a shell of their former selves. If I didn't know better I'd swear Trafalgar had a hand in brewing them.

jpm

Post by jpm »

Hey everyone, my name is Paul Meek and I am one of the owners of the Kichesippi Beer Co. I appreciate the passionate responses to the news of our upcoming purchase of Heritage Brewing. The purchase includes the Heritage Brands and the brewery itself. The Scotch Irish Brands remain with Ron and Donna.

If there is anything I can do to help answer other questions, please feel free to contact me or just post them on this thread.

Thanks

Paul

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Best of luck in the new endeavor Paul! Thanks for taking the time to post here.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Good article from the Ottawa Business Journal.

http://www.obj.ca/Local/2010-12-10/arti ... -Brewing/1

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

This article was in today's Ottawa Citizen. A couple of interesting things I noticed. First they are going to change the sign so that Kichesippi is the name of the company (and heritage is a product line). And as well it looks like they are going to start doing growlers which will be available in time for Winterlude (February 4th to 21st).

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/S ... drop_story

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

Kel Varnsen wrote:This article was in today's Ottawa Citizen. A couple of interesting things I noticed. First they are going to change the sign so that Kichesippi is the name of the company (and heritage is a product line). And as well it looks like they are going to start doing growlers which will be available in time for Winterlude (February 4th to 21st).

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/S ... drop_story
I found a point in this article rather funny: "Heritage Brewing, the only micro-brewery within the City of Ottawa, is a remarkable success story."

They say it was a success, despite an earlier article in the OBJ where the owner had said, "Mr. Moir admits Heritage lost considerable sums of money in the early years and jokingly calls the business “the worst investment I’ve ever made. I don’t need to worry about capital gains on the sale of the brewery"

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Heh.

But this is Ottawa. Compared to Nortel and JDS, Heritage is a runaway success! :)

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

You're right if you think the SIB beers are better on draught. The bottling process used at Heritage allows too much oxygen into the beer, which starts the staleness clock ticking right away. The draught packaging process is much simpler and is almost bullet-proof.
Hoppy New Year.
Perry
"Every day above ground is a good one."

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

PRMason wrote: The bottling process used at Heritage allows too much oxygen into the beer, which starts the staleness clock ticking right away. The draught packaging process is much simpler and is almost bullet-proof.
if oxygen is getting in who knows what else in getting in as well. it explains a lot about the batch inconsistencies with Heritage. poor bottling line conditions are also the most likely cause of Trafalgers problems as well.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

matt7215 wrote: if oxygen is getting in who knows what else in getting in as well. it explains a lot about the batch inconsistencies with Heritage. poor bottling line conditions are also the most likely cause of Trafalgers problems as well.
I suspect you're right, most Trafalgar products I have had on tap have been significantly better than the bottles.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Another update:
Kichesippi Beer continues its expansion in the Ottawa beer market concluding the purchase of Scotch Irish Brewing Co. This in itself is a simple asset transaction. Two thirds of Scotch Irish were owned by Heritage owners Ron Moir and Donna Warner while the other third was owned by Heritage Head Brewmaster, Ancil Hartman. Hartman remains as Head Brewmaster for Kichesippi. For new owners, Paul and Kelly Meek, it only made sense to consolidate the brands under Kichesippi.
See http://www.apt613.ca/2011/01/24/scotch- ... treatment/ for full post.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Inevitable. Scotch Irish has potential and brand recognition.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Interesting, the original post about Kichesippi buying Heritage was posted like a month and a half ago. If this was always in the works I wonder why they didn't announce the whole thing then?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Kel Varnsen wrote:Interesting, the original post about Kichesippi buying Heritage was posted like a month and a half ago. If this was always in the works I wonder why they didn't announce the whole thing then?
I don't think it was always in the works. At the time of the original sale, ownership of the Scotch-Irish brands was kept by Ron, Donna and Ancil. Perhaps Ron & Donna just had second thoughts, and decided to unload those brands as well.