Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Vancouver Craft Beer Week

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Yeah, I really ought to make the effort to get out to the coast next year. Work shouldn't be as busy (and maybe I'll have some holidays banked!).

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

A nice video clip by the Express about Hoppapalooza at the Alibi (from 4 to 7 minutes):

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Off to today's event;

The first ever Brewery Creek Beer Festival will showcase some of the top Craft Breweries in the US and their delectable brews – some of which have never before been seen (or tasted) in BC. Our crafty cousins to the south are bringing with them an amazing selection of their best craft beer!

Anderson Valley Brewing Co
Buckbean Brewing Co
Deschutes Brewing Co
Eel River Brewing Co
Elysian Brewing Co
FX Matt Brewing Co
Green Flash Brewing
Hopworks Urban Brewery
Lagunitas Brewing Co
Lexington Brewing Co
Moylan’s Brewery
North Coast Brewing Co
Rogue Ales Brewery
Shipyard Brewing Co
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co
Ska Brewing Co
Southern Tier Brewing Co
Stone Brewing Co
Uncommon Brewers

With up to 4 beers per brewery, DJ K-Tel’s soulful spinning and the swamp stylings of the Kingrails, local food carts (Re Up and Beer Brats), this ground breaking festival is craft beer history in the making – don’t miss out, these tickets are going quick!
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I actually got a free ticket and headed down to the last event:
http://www.bartowel.com/?p=2334

As with most awards, there was an interesting mix. If they can maintain that number of submissions, they should probably add a few more categories.

A Pilsner actually took the Best in Show, and it was indeed an excellent example of the style. I'll have to swing by Steamworks in the summer for a few more pints!

I think the most memorable brew I had was Russell Brewing's Nectar of the Gods Wheat Wine. Unique & awesome. It doesn't need barrel-aging, but that should also be interesting!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I thought this was interesting...

Behind the scenes at BC's Beer Awards:
http://vancouver.openfile.ca/vancouver/ ... eer-awards

"Chester Carey, the organizer of today’s event, is urging the judges to reward outstanding beers, no matter if they perfectly represent all qualities of the specific style the brewmaster was aiming for."

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I know most of the guys who judged this year. I can't imagine there's another event in Canada that has such a qualified panel (all certified, not one but THREE cicerones amongst them). However it is a fairly logical debate to have. Do you award a beer due to faithfulness to style or due to innovation? I suppose it depends whether the innovation is WITHIN style or takes it into a different style. Sometimes the lines are blurry and a consensus is hard to arrive at.

Regardless, there were some very worthy winners this year and the whole VCBW went tremendously well. Hats off to all the dedicated and passionate beer folk out here that made it happen and supported it through ticket sales and volunteering.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Yeah, I like Chester's philosophy. At times it might be hard to remain objective, but it's good to consider the artistic merit... or simply just acknowledge a kick-ass brew.

Overall I think the outcome was good, but I thought the awards might have sparked some more discussion like the CBA's & OBA's often do (not just here).

Yeah, there was still an army of enthusiastic volunteers at the final event, which is seriously impressive given the full week of activities.

It was indeed really well done.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »