Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ashton Old Mill Pub to start brewing

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

tyler90

Ashton Old Mill Pub to start brewing

Post by tyler90 »

In the paper today...
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/brew/ ... story.html

Sounds interesting; a small operation starting with three different ales. Hart Brewing was before my (drinking) time, but hopefully it leads them in the right direction.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Always good to hear about more brewing happening in the Ottawa area! Too bad it would be tricky to get out there for most people (including myself).

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

We stopped by the Old Mill Pub in Ashton on the way to the cottage and on the way back. It is a favourite country pub of a older friend who hails originally from Newcastle. The staff was very friendly and made our kids (4 and 6) feel very welcome.

The brewery will be doing a total of 4 different beers. Currently they have both the Ashton Amber and Ashton Cream Ale with a blonde or pilsner to follow in a couple of weeks. The fourth isn't decided yet but a brown ale seems like a possibility.

The beers closely follow the old Hart Brewing recipes, except for substitutions of grains that are more difficult to get now than then.

My impressions are that the beers are well made and will cater to a wide audience. There is nothing that is going to blow your socks off but the ales are sessionable and fit with the feel of this long established pub.

Now that I know how close it is to home, I'll be making the trip out to this pub a few times a year for a good meal and to check how the brewery is doing.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Woo Hoo. Good news. Thanks for this. Always looking for new places in and around Ottawa.

EricM

Post by EricM »

I used to work for the Hodgins. I couldn't imagine a better group of dudes to take over a brew pub.

I'll have to make the trek out that way!

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

BTW.. initial reports about the beer from the local homebrewing organization in the area have not been positive. Lets hope things improve.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Durf, Carleton Place is farther from Ottawa than I thought. I assume the beers are only available on site?

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I haven't seen them around town as of yet. So yeah I'd assume it's only on site.

Carleton Place is about 45 minutes from downtown Ottawa.

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

In the original article, they expressed interest in starting a bottling line in the future.

EricM

Post by EricM »

You can give the cream ale a try at paddy's pub, on Bank, they are still going through the licences to get it up to Quinn's.

They don't know if they are going to do bottles, but growlers might be a possibility.