Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Too Hop to Handle

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Too Hop to Handle

Post by Derek »

CAMRA Vancouver’s Fest of Ale – Too Hop to Handle
Saturday, July 23rd, 2011, 12pm-5pm
at St. Augustine’s Craft Brew House, 2360 Commercial Drive

We’ve got IPA’s and lots of them! Your local brewers all went to the extreme to take you and your taste buds to hop heaven and back (or beyond in some cases!).

Participating Breweries
Red Racer Beer, Big Ridge Brewing Co, Lighthouse Brewing Company, Howe Sound Brewing, Phillips Brewing Company, Big River Brew Pub, Salt Spring Island Ales, Russell Brewing Company, Storm Brewing, Dead Frog Brewery, R&B Brewing, Crannog Ales, BrewHouse (High Mountain Brewing), Elysian Brewing and more!
I'm looking forward to it!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Both my wife and I will be there!
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It was a good event.

Perhaps my expectations for IPA's in BC are a bit high, but there were a couple I've been itch'n to try and actually thought they were a bit lackluster... but that's also the nature of the cask.

The Whistler Brewhouse was the top pick of the judges and shared the people's choice as well. For a straight-up IPA, I'd have to agree. The brewhouse has moved the brewery back to Whistler, they have Dix last brewer, and they just keep getting better!

Spinnaker's CDA was probably the other stand-out for me.

A nice writeup:
http://www.vancouverbeerblog.com/?p=1718

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Apparently there was a mix up with the winner: "Dave Varga from Taylor's Crossing actually won the BJCP judged Brewer's Challenge with his Indian Arm IPA dry hoped with Nelson Sauvign...

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/CAMR ... uWKHdx5EvQ

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

Derek wrote:Perhaps my expectations for IPA's in BC are a bit high
I hear that. May I ask why your expectations were a bit high?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

We have a lot of good IPA's, but I think Central City (IPA) and Driftwood (Fat Tug) have continued to raise the bar.

My disappointments were:

Crannóg, which is more like a hoppy pale ale (since then I've had a great pint on-tap, but it's still not in west-coast IPA territory);

Central City's DIPA, which seemed like their IPA with added alcohol (and not much else), but I'll reserve judgement until I try a sample on-tap.

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

How I envy you. Ontario doesn't have an IPA that is readily available, of consistent quality, and with exemplary flavour. In my opinion. But it's definitely better than it was even a year ago. I blame my high standards on my infrequent trips to Oregon.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Wray77 wrote: I blame my high standards on my HOMEBREWED IPAs.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I think the general quality and number of locally brewed and bottled IPA's in B.C. is great compared to Ontario. I also think that has a lot to do with the much larger number of quality U.S. examples available at retail which drives the locals to raise the bar in order to compete. Last I checked there were more than a dozen top quality American IPA's and half a dozen IIPA's available pretty much year round and more than two dozen seasonal IPA's and IIPA's. Conversely B.C. brewers collectively make more than a dozen year round IPA's and several IIPA's (of varying quality) and more than a dozen seasonal IPA's and IIPA's (Phillips accounting for about six all on their own).
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

I gotta move.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Wray77 wrote:I gotta move.
Starting up homebrewing would be cheaper.

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

I'm not so sure, the cost of living is 30% more here than where I'd move to... of course my beer budget would probably take up 25% of that, but I'd still be saving money. And I prefer the expertise of others.