Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Les BDT receives Gov't Support

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

NRman
Bar Fly

Les BDT receives Gov't Support

Post by NRman »

Les Brasseurs du Temps microbrewery receives financial support from Government of Canada

Gatineau, Quebec, August 23, 2011 – Acting on behalf of the Honourable Denis Lebel, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities and Minister of the Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec, Jacques Gourde, Member of Parliament for Lotbinière–Chutes-de-la-Chaudière, today announced that the microbrewery Les Brasseurs du Temps had been granted $118,750 in repayable funding to carry out a pre-commercialization project on the United States market.

"The Government of Canada is pleased to support this initiative of Les Brasseurs du Temps, whose premium-quality products help strengthen the Outaouais' brand image as a leader in the agri-food sector," explained Jacques Gourde.

The young enterprise currently produces 23 different varieties of beer that it sells in its own establishment as well as in certain grocery stores, bars and restaurants. The microbrewery operates its own in-house brasserie, which offers full restaurant services and shows, and also features a beer brewing heritage museum.

In accordance with its business plan, the company intends to carry out a pre-commercialization exercise that will involve prospecting for clients, conducting market surveys in the eastern United States on six of its types of beer, entering certain of its products in national and international competitions and refining its marketing strategy. Exporting its products will require the firm to purchase equipment to bolster its brewing and delivery capacity.

Agri-food processing is a promising growth sector of the Outaouais economy, as are high technology, tourism and the transformation of wood into value-added products. It is therefore in these priority areas that Canada Economic Development has decided to focus its development efforts in the region.

This financial contribution from the Government of Canada has been granted through Canada Economic Development's Business and Regional Growth program.

Sources:

François Bélisle
Communications
Canada Economic Development
Tel.: 819-825-3976
E-mail: francois.belisle@dec-ced.gc.ca.

Benoît Fortin
Special Assistant, Communications
Office of the Honourable Denis Lebel
Canada Economic Development
Tel.: 819-923-9209
E-mail: benoit.fortin@dec-ced.gc.ca..
Source
http://www.dec-ced.gc.ca/eng/media-room ... /2960.html

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Interesting, I would think they would want to take over the Quebec market first before the US. But I imagine most of this money will be for refining their product and adding a bottling line.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Wow. I can't believe how fast this brewery is growing, and all the power to them. Hopefully they can charge a bit less for their bottles if the volume goes up/they put in a bottling line. At this point it's about the same cost (maybe even cheaper) to have the beers on tap at the brewpub.

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

Hope they bottle their IPA next.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I was just there this past Saturday. Great place, great food, I tried all 12 of the beers on tap, lots of amazing stuff. I was sad they only had 3 in bottles, and they weren't the ones I liked the most. The waiter told me they'd be getting all of them in bottles in the next 2 years, I guess this is why.