Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Ottawa Brewery - Broadhead Brewing Company

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Inkling

New Ottawa Brewery - Broadhead Brewing Company

Post by Inkling »

There is a new brewery opening up here in Ottawa, the Broadhead Brewery. They opened up on October 1st on Auriga Drive.

I have not tried it myself but I read on another web site that they will be offering: a standard ale, a hoppy pale ale, a white, a "citra", a red/amber ale and a dark oatmeal stout.

http://broadheadbeer.com/

Has anyone tried it yet? Any opinions?

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Not yet, though if they are open, I'll pay them a visit this week or weekend and let you know. A citra pale ale is always welcome... especially in the desert of Ottawa.

Whats the complete address?

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

I'd rather know more about the head brewer than the type of beer they intend to make.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Their beers are now listed on their website:

Underdog Pale
Style: Pale Ale
Alcohol (ABV): 5.2%
Bitterness (IBU): 41.2
Color (SRM): 6.9

Backbone Standard
Style: Blonde Ale
Alcohol (ABV): 5.0%
Bitterness (IBU): 15.0
Color (SRM): 4.0

Long Shot White
Style: Wheat Ale
Alcohol (ABV): 5.0%
Bitterness (IBU): 13.5
Color (SRM): 5.3

Grindstone Amber
Style: Amber Ale
Alcohol (ABV): 4.8%
Bitterness (IBU): 25.7
Color (SRM): 11.8

Dark Horse Stout
Style: Oatmeal Stout
Alcohol (ABV): 5.5%
Bitterness (IBU): 25.5
Color (SRM): 34.2

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

It's four homebrewers that are joining forces. One is a member of MOB (Members of Barleyment)

You can purchase corny kegs of beer from their brewery right now, they have growlers on order and hope to be filling them in November and selling from the brewery.

It's a small operation, .7BBL system and they will be building slowly.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Nice to see the Ottawa beer scene growing, albeit slowly. And when I say Ottawa beer scene I mean the city itself and not the surrounding area which I put Gatineau and Beau's into (and even Ogdenburg New York if you want).

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

They are also selling custom keggerators built to fit 2 ball-lock corny's, energy star fridge, perlick tower, c02 bottle, regulator, lines, etc...

All ready to pour for $436 taxes in, hell of a deal. Neat idea when you also sell the corny's to go in the fridge.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

codfishh wrote:They are also selling custom keggerators built to fit 2 ball-lock corny's, energy star fridge, perlick tower, c02 bottle, regulator, lines, etc...

All ready to pour for $436 taxes in, hell of a deal. Neat idea when you also sell the corny's to go in the fridge.
I intend on checking that out for myself on saturday. Interested if its well done. Especially if I can fit a 30-50L sanke keg in there with a 5 minute customization.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

These homebrewers are a welcome addition. Whether they make it or not, it should raise the bar as far as boldness goes for area brewers.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Wow, this is literally a three minute drive (or 10 minute walk) from my parents' place in Ottawa. Will definitely check it out next time I'm back!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Tried some of the Long Shot White off a keg on the weekend and it was quite nice.

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

We dropped by the brewery last week. Tried the pale and the white, the pale was good not great. It'll probably do well with the average drinker, not for the hophead. It uses cascade not citra, which makes sense since citra is pretty hard to get right now.

I thought the white was really good, nice and refreshing with just the right amount of orange and coriander, I didn't get any banana or clove out of it so I would think it's probably using some variant of the American Ale or American Ale II, or possibly us-05. I'd definitely drink it again.

The keggerrator looked nice too, uses a Danby stainless steel looking fridge, I think I'll be picking one of these up.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

A new micro is always welcome in my books! I'm just glad to see their logo isn't similar to Spearhead's, as they're both named after the sharpened tips of projectile weapons.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

codfishh wrote: I thought the white was really good, nice and refreshing with just the right amount of orange and coriander, I didn't get any banana or clove out of it so I would think it's probably using some variant of the American Ale or American Ale II, or possibly us-05. I'd definitely drink it again.
A white shouldn't have banana or clove. And there are lots of other strains besides Am Ale/Am Ale II that do not exhibit banana or clove.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

I just picked up a growler of the Dark Horse Stout.