Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Canadian Beer at Vermont Beer Festival

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Canadian Beer at Vermont Beer Festival

Post by Bytowner »

Bit of well-earned love for the Quebec scene:
http://www.vnews.com/home/7712551-95/on ... s-festival
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I was there, and it was clear that the Quebec breweries, along with the "hot" Vermont ones (Lawson's, Hill F, Alchemist) had BY FAR the longest lines.

That and the fact that the Quebec beers are just so damned exotic and interesting compared to the vast majority of the other beers made them a big hit. Well done to our friends down the highway.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

When I went a couple years ago Trou du diable and DDC had the longest lines, with Lawsons being a close 3rd. 40 minutes plus for TDD.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I was there last year and noticed the same thing. It's funny (and it made me really proud!) that we all go crazy for VT beers and yet, at a festival in their own backyard there were lineups just as long for the Quebec breweries as there were for HT, Lawsons and The Alchemist.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

There's always a "try the exotic" thing going on at these kinds of festivals anyway, isn't there?

At Mondial a few months ago the two days I was there (before 7pm) DDC generally had very few lineups while Beau's was a mile deep.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Well as much as we do, justifiably, talk up Vermont beers, we're really only talking about 3 quality breweries, and one of them isn't exactly churning out brands. If I lived in Vermont I might be excited for new stuff too.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Bytowner wrote:Well as much as we do, justifiably, talk up Vermont beers, we're really only talking about 3 quality breweries, and one of them isn't exactly churning out brands. If I lived in Vermont I might be excited for new stuff too.
That's an excellent point. Not to mention that focus on IPA/DIPAs. If I lived in VT I would be lining up at the festival to drink Peche or Aphrodite.