Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2009 Utopias in original box with Riedel glass in case and Jim Koch letter , bottle 03389

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:I don't get all the hate on here. Yes I think the bottle is over-valued too, however if I'm buying a used record I certainly don't berate the guy asking too much, I just shop elsewhere.
Please read back. One guy responded not so favorably and OP got defensive and tried to justify his pricing.... poorly.
He was asking for people to pile on.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I agree he responded poorly, however I don't think the post that turned him (Portwood's) was harmless. Just because the OP thinks his asking price is a deal doesn't make him a slimy sales rep, which the post implies.

Regardless, his poor response doesn't justify people to pile on. Pack mentality.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

pezhere

Post by pezhere »

really , all I'd like to do is trade the bottle of Utopias for some other beers .
My price MIGHT be slightly high but I know the price of the beers offered in the trade will probably be slightly high also .

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:I agree he responded poorly, however I don't think the post that turned him (Portwood's) was harmless. Just because the OP thinks his asking price is a deal doesn't make him a slimy sales rep, which the post implies.

Regardless, his poor response doesn't justify people to pile on. Pack mentality.
Awww, I miss out on so many pack mentality threads, I had to jump on this one too!

For me, I've always enjoy the community of BT, but it's attracted a lot more yahoo's recently. If I'm going to trade I want to trade with someone I know or at least am familiar with here. Limit trade requests to people with a minimum of 100 posts and the crazy requests will be gone. Lots of other free-for-all places to trade out there.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

El Pinguino wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:I agree he responded poorly, however I don't think the post that turned him (Portwood's) was harmless. Just because the OP thinks his asking price is a deal doesn't make him a slimy sales rep, which the post implies.

Awww, I miss out on so many pack mentality threads, I had to jump on this one too!

For me, I've always enjoy the community of BT, but it's attracted a lot more yahoo's recently. If I'm going to trade I want to trade with someone I know or at least am familiar with here. Limit trade requests to people with a minimum of 100 posts and the crazy requests will be gone. Lots of other free-for-all places to trade out there.
There is a popular synthesizer community board that had to limit buying/selling to people with a minimum 100 posts. It helped immensely.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

We get like one trade offer a week on this board. It's not like we're being overwhelmed by bad trade offers.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

portwood wrote:
pezhere wrote:its a deal at $500 !!
I have no idea what the beer is, or how much its worth, BUT, as soon as a salesman says "its a deal" there is high probability its the farthest thing from it ... for the buyer.

jus sayin
Pezhere, your request sounds like a scam for these reasons:

1. The beer retails at the LCBO annually for under $150.
2. The beer doesn't improve in the bottle.
3. Each release is somewhat comparable (it's blended to maintain a somewhat consistent profile).
3. The $150 price point is extremely rare in beer. It is already off putting for many (is it as good as Soctch/Port/Sherry at the same price?)
4. Nobody sells stuff on here. Ever. Especially not for half a grand.
5. $500 could but you 2-3 beer runs to the States and hundreds of bottles of high quality beer.
6. Premier Gourmet sells most of its rare bottles for under $50.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

I got one to trade to once OP is taken care of :roll:

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Absolutely unreal. Thanks OP for reminding me why I don't visit this site anymore.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Been waiting a while to post that one huh? ;)
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

that Jim Koch letter alone is worth $200.
your price is too low.
pls re-post and try a gain.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

I'm actually more annoyed at people just coming to use this forum for a one-off trade. This thread is especially egregious and annoying.

I would suggest that the trading forum be closed to users with less than a certain number of posts? Maybe 25 posts or something before being allowed to trade? That's how it works on sites like Flyertalk where things are traded.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

napoleon wrote:I'm actually more annoyed at people just coming to use this forum for a one-off trade. This thread is especially egregious and annoying.

I would suggest that the trading forum be closed to users with less than a certain number of posts? Maybe 25 posts or something before being allowed to trade? That's how it works on sites like Flyertalk where things are traded.

Hear, hear.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I just think it's funny how beer people can be so cheap in what they are willing to spend for something, and they are cheap in how they try to 'win' trades by WAY over-selling rarity or demand / availability.

Yeah better to ignore what you don't approve of.
In Beerum Veritas

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

pezhere wrote:Hey guys,

I didnt pay $500.......just like my old wines.....price goes up for older editions. Some of my wines are now worth 10 times what I paid.....thats just the way it goes.

Same for some rarer older editions of beers.

YOU DONT HAVE TO BE INTERESTED IN A TRADE FOR THIS BEER !
This would suggest they are going down in value. Just sayin'

http://beerblackbook.com/beerprofile.ph ... 48&var=473