Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

ISO: Smaller Styro Shippers

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

ISO: Smaller Styro Shippers

Post by JerCraigs »

Does anyone have any smaller styro boxes they don't need? I have seen 3 or 6 bottle ones that will hold up to a 750, as well smaller ones for 12 oz bottles.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

i don't have spares, but uhaul is a good place to get 'em in 1, 2, 3, 6, or 12 bottle sizes. spend $25 and the shipping is free. not a good resource if you're in a hurry though - can take a week or two for them to ship out based on my past experience.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Box ... ts?mid=169

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Yeah, U-Haul is where I got mine. They ship from the midwest, mine took about a week to arrive which I thought was pretty fast.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I've never considered shipping with U-haul... if there's free shipping with $25, I imagine their rates are quite good?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Derek, I think he means shipping on the purchase of the boxes.

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

:roll: Hmmm... yeah... that's probably the dumbest quote of the week!

jimmay

Post by jimmay »

What are people thoughts (or experience) with shipping two 12 oz bottles in each 750 ml 'sleeve', with some sort of packing paper or bubble wrap in between, ie using one of these 12 bottle units to ship 24 12oz bottles?

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

jimmay wrote:What are people thoughts (or experience) with shipping two 12 oz bottles in each 750 ml 'sleeve', with some sort of packing paper or bubble wrap in between, ie using one of these 12 bottle units to ship 24 12oz bottles?
I've done it and it works fine (assuming the bottles are not oddly shaped). Wrap each completely in bubble wrap, stick a little extra in the bottom of the styro slot you're putting them in. Probably they will fit best with the top one inverted (cap down). Just make sure there's enough packing between the necks so they don't touch glass to glass. You might want to tape the two necks together so that, on the reciever's end, they don't lift the top half of the styro off and have the inverted bottle go flying. I also stuff a little extra packing between the bubble-wrapped bottles and the side of the styro slot just to ensure a snug fit. Always remember to mark your boxes "This end up" with an arrow to remind handlers not to invert the box, and plenty of fragile stickers or writing. Unless the box gets really abused in transit all should arrive unbroken.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I have also stacked two cans in a recent trade and it seemed to work out okay.

The small shippers I am actually more looking at as something to pack in my luggage as opposed to mailing.

jimmay

Post by jimmay »

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm thinking of trying to find a hardshell suitcase that fit the 12 x 750 ml styro snug-ly for beer hauls while on vacation.

If two 12 oz'ers (or cans) go well (with bubble wrap as suggested), then I have flexibility to bring home bombers or 12 oz bottle or cans, or any combination.

I should really go and patent it, if I find it. :)

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

It would be a very odd case since the 12x750ml styro shippers need a box approx 18"x18"x24". You'd be looking for something more like a foot locker.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I think 2x6 is probably the better option, short of checking an entire second bag. My biggest problem has been the times where I want to check a suitcase AND a 12x shipper but I can't always fit it all into a single bag on the way there.