Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Trading pointers...

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zombi69

Trading pointers...

Post by zombi69 »

Hey guys! Haven't traded yet though would like too. A couple questions. Shipping, Canada post? Are there any restrictions etc when send beer across Canada?

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

zombi69 wrote:Hey guys! Haven't traded yet though would like too. A couple questions. Shipping, Canada post? Are there any restrictions etc when send beer across Canada?
Ya dont tell them it's beer.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

zombi69 wrote:Hey guys! Haven't traded yet though would like too. A couple questions. Shipping, Canada post? Are there any restrictions etc when send beer across Canada?
My personal preference is to avoid Canada Post at all cost. I use FedEx. If you sign up for an on-line account with FedEx shipping rates are often cheaper or at least the same price as Canada Post and I find FedEx to be much more reliable.

Shipping is complicated though, so if you get in to it there is a lot to learn. That said, I wouldn't ship now. It is too cold. Wait until the spring and then get more info to get you started.

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
My personal preference is to avoid Canada Post at all cost. I use FedEx. If you sign up for an on-line account with FedEx shipping rates are often cheaper or at least the same price as Canada Post and I find FedEx to be much more reliable.

Shipping is complicated though, so if you get in to it there is a lot to learn. That said, I wouldn't ship now. It is too cold. Wait until the spring and then get more info to get you started.
How do you mean that the shipping is complicated?

KW1

Post by KW1 »

First off, it's illegal.

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

KW1 wrote:First off, it's illegal.
Thanks for clarifying the obvious! : )

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

zombi69 wrote:
How do you mean that the shipping is complicated?
I guess it isn't really. There's a lot involved in packing/supplies unless you use bottle shippers, which I highly recommend.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Pack your shit up nice and tight. Put it in the email. Doesn't get much harder than that.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I always use Canada Post and I haven't had any problems, including a few US trades. I haven't actually done a price comparison though.

jprime

Post by jprime »

markaberrant wrote:Pack your shit up nice and tight. Put it in the email. Doesn't get much harder than that.
Didnt know you could send beer through email!!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

jprime wrote:
markaberrant wrote:Pack your shit up nice and tight. Put it in the email. Doesn't get much harder than that.
That was a pretty awesome "slip of the tongue."

jprime

Post by jprime »

markaberrant wrote:
jprime wrote:
That was a pretty awesome "slip of the tongue."
it was awesome. I just wish it was true. I'd send you one right now.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Anyone done a trade between Canada and the US? I thought I had read a thread on here, but can't find any info.

Soods

Post by Soods »

Jercraigs said he'd done in his post just above.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

El Pinguino wrote:Anyone done a trade between Canada and the US? I thought I had read a thread on here, but can't find any info.
Yeah I have 3 times...its more expensive and customs can be a pain. All 3 times I have shipped through Canada Post and they all made it through however one box I sent to Texas was held almost 3 weeks in US customs before it made out to the person I was sending to. Declare it as collectable glassware, say its a gift and put down the value of the package around $25-30 on the customs form. I would advise you that if your are trading internationaly to go after whales to make it worth the extra effort and money.