Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Trade Gone Wrong.

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Trade Gone Wrong.

Post by TheBeeraholic »

So I made a trade with someone in the US. His shipment came today after only two days.

Everything wrapped relatively nice. Bubble wrap was nicely done. Not in zip locks but not the end of the world.

The main beer of the trade was a BCBS Cherry Rye. It leaked about 1/3 of the beer gone.. Pretty upsetting but I've still got two thirds left. Hopefully not spoiled depending on when the leak occurred.

Second beer I was excited about was the bottle of KBS. It didn't make the trip. Either customs yanked it or he didn't send it at all.

Third beer was a can On The Wings of Armageddon. It too didn't arrive in the box.

Third and fourth beers were just extra's and thankfully made it. DFH Immort and DC Brau El Heffe.

Has anyone else had experience where they've had significant breakage or in my case leakage? Or beers not even being in the box?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

TheBeeraholic wrote:

Second beer I was excited about was the bottle of KBS. It didn't make the trip. Either customs yanked it or he didn't send it at all.

Third beer was a can On The Wings of Armageddon. It too didn't arrive in the box.
Firstly, it is VERY unlikely that "customs yanked" anything. If customs opened the box there are only two possibilities: (1) the beer is found and it gets confiscated or (2) the beer is found but they let it go. In that case the WHOLE BOX would go through. I don't see any scenario where they would yank some bottles. If there was leakage/breakage they would inform the sender as there would be the potential for an insurance claim (assuming that they do not realize that it is illegal to ship beer, which they likely would).

The first thing you should do here is contact the sender and ask about the two missing beers. It seems like you are guessing/speculating and none of us can tell you if the sender did or didn't send those two beers.

As for the leaky Cherry Rye, that sucks. Hopefully the remainder is salvageable. It is a great beer.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

First thing I did was email him saying wtf. Claims he sent them. And I believe him as I weighed the box and it was slightly lighter than the weight claimed on the ups slip.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

TheBeeraholic wrote:First thing I did was email him saying wtf. Claims he sent them. And I believe him as I weighed the box and it was slightly lighter than the weight claimed on the ups slip.
Well, anything is possible. You should ask him specifics about how he packed the box. There is a chance that the box was leaking and it was opened up and repacked by (Fedex/UPS?) and sent along on its way. I have had that happen to me once. But I guarantee you that it wasn't Canada customs that would have done that. It would have been at one of the various checkpoints that it went through along its way (within the US).

Bottom line is that, if this is what happened, although it really sucks, you are lucky to get what you got.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

was the box messy with beer? asking as 1/3 of a bottle would make quite a mess...

quite often, if fedex sees a leaky box they'll open it up, repack, and send it on. could be the other items broke too and were removed, or just that someone walked off with them when they cleaned up the 1/3 leaker. so long as that happened before or after customs, you'd still get through.

now, the key here is that it's the _sender's_ responsibility to get it all to you safe, so anything broken in transit (or MIA) is his responsibility to make right.

the best story (and pictures were posted) was a BA trade years back where a very reputable sender sent out a bunch of stuff, and the box arrived devoid of beer but containing several chunks of steel making up the weight...
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Yeah, the box had several stains. The guy works for a media company and threw in a couple dvd cases which also absorbed some of the beer. Sent him a picture of the box it was the same box that he sent it in. I dont think the other two broke as there wasn't that much stain if the KBS broke completely there would have been a bigger mess. And the other missing was a can. WIth the responsibility being on the sender he agreed and is sending some other stuff to make up for the leaky cheer rye as well as the two missing. Doesn't want to loose having a Canadian trading partner.

Cracked the Cherry Rye last night. Not having it before wasn't able to tell if it had been ruined. It drank quite well lots of bourbon, roast, vanilla with the perfect about of fresh cherries really top notch and after being quite upset about the condition it arrived in I was still impressed.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

grub wrote: now, the key here is that it's the _sender's_ responsibility to get it all to you safe, so anything broken in transit (or MIA) is his responsibility to make right.
So he ended up sending out another package. Should be arriving today with a replacement KBS, replacement on the wings of armageddon and a FFF Zombie dust.

All in all if these make it I think it's the best trade I've made yet.

Cherry Rye, KBS, DC Brau OTWOA, DC Brau Hefe, DFH Immort Ale, FFF Zombie Dust all for a a bottle of BNL, Crazy Canuck, Peche Mortel, and Naughty Neighbour.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

TheBeeraholic wrote: Cherry Rye, KBS, DC Brau OTWOA, DC Brau Hefe, DFH Immort Ale, FFF Zombie Dust all for a a bottle of BNL, Crazy Canuck, Peche Mortel, and Naughty Neighbour.
That might be the best trade in the history of corss-border beer trades. To bad you didn't get 2 bottles of OTWOA so you could trade the second to me :)

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
TheBeeraholic wrote: Cherry Rye, KBS, DC Brau OTWOA, DC Brau Hefe, DFH Immort Ale, FFF Zombie Dust all for a a bottle of BNL, Crazy Canuck, Peche Mortel, and Naughty Neighbour.
That might be the best trade in the history of corss-border beer trades. To bad you didn't get 2 bottles of OTWOA so you could trade the second to me :)
PM me. I'll consider trading the one. As long as the KBS and FFF make it.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

I had a guy (American) not send anything at all. My own stupid fault for shipping first, as he had no trade history. Fortunately, all I sent him were some Mill Streets and DDC and that sort.

I also had a broken bottle arrive in a trade from Denmark. The way it was packed I'm surprised the whole thing wasn't smashed. But this guy has about three hundred trades so I guess he knows what he's doing.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman