Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

FT: HF Arthur/Nordic Saison/Lemoncello ISO: Other HF

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

When you have HF, trade for other HF you haven't had. Always doable even here on BT.

cveerman

Post by cveerman »

[quote="Kekumba"]When you have HF, trade for other HF you haven't had. Always doable even here on BT.[/quote]

You sir are a genius, now if only you were in Toronto.

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

cveerman wrote:Thanks next time i'm in Ottawa; I know who's got the goods...
And he works during the day (not hard though) so if you break in through the backyard sliding door you can have a solid 4+ hours of bourbon and beer before having to stumble back across the river to your hotel.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

icemachine wrote:That's what I'm reading Ian.

I have nothing to offer up that he wants, but I feel no reason to complain about it.

Most people who trade have a mental value of the return they want for a bottle and if it matches up, great. If not, you can either settle or pas on trading it and enjoy the bottle yourself.
Those are my thoughts too. But I'm biased, he traded me a Dark Lord for something I got in the LCBO. :D

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

armand and tommy?
squeaky wrote:

I have nothing to offer up that he wants, but I feel no reason to complain about it.

Most people who trade have a mental value of the return they want for a bottle and if it matches up, great. If not, you can either settle or pas on trading it and enjoy the bottle yourself.
Those are my thoughts too. But I'm biased, he traded me a Dark Lord for something I got in the LCBO. :D
Last edited by spinrsx on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

spinrsx wrote:armand and tomme?
squeaky wrote:

Hah, yeah.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

iguenard wrote:Sounds like I'm the only one who understands this guy only wants something hard to get, not necessarily more expensive... am I reading this wrong?

I don't think anyone is assuming he wants something that costs more money. We could certianly put a dollar amount on the cost per bottle in terms of duty and the cost of driving there, but I don't think cveerman is doing that and I think we're talking about something more intangible. it's the fact that the original post implied that he should be able to expect something special or more rare simply because he drove to the brewery in vermont rather than obtaining something of equal scarcity that is available locally. Bearing that in mind, especially considering what PeenSteen said about receiving one as an extra, these particular beers aren't really that hard to trade for if you're prepared to offer something of comparable quality and/or scarcity/restricted distribution.

After thinking about it some more, I suppose this is more of a breach of etiquette than anything else. The bottles cveerman listed as possible trades are pretty reasonable (provided they are going 1:1 for the HF bottles) so I don't think he's necessarily holding them hostage. The problem was the mention of needing to pay duty and the fact that he drove to the brewery as justification for requesting something special in order to let the bottles go is definitely something that will rub people the wrong way. Call it what you want, be it setting the right expectation or otherwise, but I'm pretty sure those of us who would be interested in trading for them know what HF beers are generally worth so we don't need it spelled out for us. We also know that there is an opportunity cost associated in obtaining HF bottles for trade but that should not be passed on to the person on the other end of the trade in the form of increased beer rarity, quantity, or quality. In my opinion doing this is just bad form.

This whole conversation could have been avoided if a reasonable post had been made to say something like "Hey, i have these bottles from Hill Farmstead. I'm looking for bottles of beers from the following styles. Here are some examples of particular beers I want. I am not looking for anything that has been available at the LCBO." All the bases are covered and the proper expectation is set by providing examples of beers he would be willing to accept in trade, taking the guess work out of it (guess work being another thing that can annoy potential traders).

With that, I think I've said my piece so I'll let the man trade his beer now.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

ChrisK wrote:
iguenard wrote:Sounds like I'm the only one who understands this guy only wants something hard to get, not necessarily more expensive... am I reading this wrong?

I don't think anyone is assuming he wants something that costs more money. We could certianly put a dollar amount on the cost per bottle in terms of duty and the cost of driving there, but I don't think cveerman is doing that and I think we're talking about something more intangible. it's the fact that the original post implied that he should be able to expect something special or more rare simply because he drove to the brewery in vermont rather than obtaining something of equal scarcity that is available locally. Bearing that in mind, especially considering what PeenSteen said about receiving one as an extra, these particular beers aren't really that hard to trade for if you're prepared to offer something of comparable quality and/or scarcity/restricted distribution.

After thinking about it some more, I suppose this is more of a breach of etiquette than anything else. The bottles cveerman listed as possible trades are pretty reasonable (provided they are going 1:1 for the HF bottles) so I don't think he's necessarily holding them hostage. The problem was the mention of needing to pay duty and the fact that he drove to the brewery as justification for requesting something special in order to let the bottles go is definitely something that will rub people the wrong way. Call it what you want, be it setting the right expectation or otherwise, but I'm pretty sure those of us who would be interested in trading for them know what HF beers are generally worth so we don't need it spelled out for us. We also know that there is an opportunity cost associated in obtaining HF bottles for trade but that should not be passed on to the person on the other end of the trade in the form of increased beer rarity, quantity, or quality. In my opinion doing this is just bad form.

This whole conversation could have been avoided if a reasonable post had been made to say something like "Hey, i have these bottles from Hill Farmstead. I'm looking for bottles of beers from the following styles. Here are some examples of particular beers I want. I am not looking for anything that has been available at the LCBO." All the bases are covered and the proper expectation is set by providing examples of beers he would be willing to accept in trade, taking the guess work out of it (guess work being another thing that can annoy potential traders).

With that, I think I've said my piece so I'll let the man trade his beer now.
Nailed it.

cveerman

Post by cveerman »

Lesson learned... I will never leave an open-ended ISO trade on this forum again.

Out of curiousity, what brewery is harder to obtain beer from?

Cheers,

Christiaan

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Side Project and SARA have to be right up there

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Jesus Christ. This has to be the most un-fun thread ever. Drinking beer and trading beer is supposed to be fun. That's about it. When we start dissecting fairly innocuous language in order to question intentions and indirectly, or even directly, make inferences about a persons integrity in the name etiquette we are getting dangerously close to becoming insufferable "professional hobbyists". Feel free to call me out on this opinion, or just relax, go back to enjoying an awesome hobby and let people go about doing their own shit.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

boney wrote:Jesus Christ. This has to be the most un-fun thread ever. Drinking beer and trading beer is supposed to be fun. That's about it. When we start dissecting fairly innocuous language in order to question intentions and indirectly, or even directly, make inferences about a persons integrity in the name etiquette we are getting dangerously close to becoming insufferable "professional hobbyists". Feel free to call me out on this opinion, or just relax, go back to enjoying an awesome hobby and let people go about doing their own shit.
+1
lister

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

boney wrote:Jesus Christ. This has to be the most un-fun thread ever. Drinking beer and trading beer is supposed to be fun. That's about it. When we start dissecting fairly innocuous language in order to question intentions and indirectly, or even directly, make inferences about a persons integrity in the name etiquette we are getting dangerously close to becoming insufferable "professional hobbyists". Feel free to call me out on this opinion, or just relax, go back to enjoying an awesome hobby and let people go about doing their own shit.
It's because of certain trading "practices" that the once (moderately) admirable Beer Adovcate trading forums have devolved into absolute shit.

If we can't set some rough guidelines/keep things in check re: on what is acceptable/unacceptable in the trading "game," how will people who are new to the hobby learn how to go about things?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

liamt07 wrote:
It's because of certain trading "practices" that the once (moderately) admirable Beer Adovcate trading forums have devolved into absolute shit.

If we can't set some rough guidelines/keep things in check re: on what is acceptable/unacceptable in the trading "game," how will people who are new to the hobby learn how to go about things?
They'll learn by the volume of trades they complete and the speed that their offers are taken up, and what sort of extra throw in's they get
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

icemachine wrote:
liamt07 wrote:

They'll learn by the volume of trades they complete and the speed that their offers are taken up, and what sort of extra throw in's they get
Or, to ensure that people know where they're going wrong, we as a community can just be direct when things like this arise and tell them.