Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

FT: HF Arthur/Nordic Saison/Lemoncello ISO: Other HF

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cveerman

FT: HF Arthur/Nordic Saison/Lemoncello ISO: Other HF

Post by cveerman »

I just got back from Vermont today and i have a couple of arthurs/nordic saison (kissmeyer collab) and lemon cello (mikkeller collab) that I could part with for the right trade.

I'm not looking for anything that was available from the lcbo and I like sours/lambics/wine barrel-aged goodness here are some examples: Rodenbach Caractère Rouge, Brasserie de Blaugies/Hill Farmstead La Vermontoise, Logsdon Farmhouse Ales Seizoen Bretta and Swamp Head Brewery Saison Du Swamp. All trades are $4$.
Last edited by cveerman on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

cveerman wrote:I just got back from Vermont today and i have a couple of arthurs/nordic saison (kissmeyer collab) and lemon cello (mikkeller collab) that I could part with for the right trade.

I'm not looking for anything that was available from the lcbo and per usual I like sours/lambics/wine barrel-aged goodness.

I had to wait in line for a couple of hours, drive to vermont and pay duty (busted for hst) so I want something special.
So you want people to go above and beyond in terms of trade value because you voluntarily brought back trade bait?

Your post just screams of someone trying to win a trade.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Maybe he's just trying to set realistic expectations? I've traded with him before and I didn't find him to be that way at all.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

So, instead of putting together a list of things in the general ballpark of things he'd be willing to trade his beer for, he's essentially set up an "auction" for his beer. This allows him to field trade requests from anyone and everyone, denying lesser offers, and hoping that someone will overbid, where upon he'll accept. He then "wins" the trade, and feels like he's justly served the beer trading community. The winning of the trade positively reinforces this type of activity, and I bet we can expect to see similar future trade offers from this guy (and others) again.

I know how this type of activity goes down. I've been trading for almost 7 years now. This isn't anything new, and while people get by with this "type" of trading, it's a terribly selfish way of going about things.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

liamt07 wrote:So, instead of putting together a list of things in the general ballpark of things he'd be willing to trade his beer for, he's essentially set up an "auction" for his beer. This allows him to field trade requests from anyone and everyone, denying lesser offers, and hoping that someone will overbid, where upon he'll accept. He then "wins" the trade, and feels like he's justly served the beer trading community. The winning of the trade positively reinforces this type of activity, and I bet we can expect to see similar future trade offers from this guy (and others) again.
I am not suggesting that this is what the OP is doing here (he has yet to even reply to your initial comment) but this has become the unfortunate reality of the BT trade forums recently.

And it is a trend that has to stop but it is getting out of hand.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I have to agree... the "I had to pay duty" just screams "so you'll have to pay me duty in beer".

His/her intentions are probably okay, but the tone of the post is somewhat off.

cveerman, can you let us know the types of beers you'd be willing to accept in trade for these? Anything in mind?

cveerman

Post by cveerman »

Sorry if i came across as an ass with my duty remark; the duty really pissed me off. I should have broken down my receipt instead I presented the only one I had for $500 to the customs officer after only staying 24 hours, $75 in HST later. My fault I know...

i was implying that i went up and beyond for this beer which i will gladly drink with my friends but brought back a few more for others that can't travel 20 hours to get it. I want the trade to reflect the work I put in. Unfortunately, that disqualifies the people who don't travel and bring back beer as souvenirs.

As far as specifics; I'm wiling to trade for some 92+ beer advocate saisons that aren't available on the lcbo. I've had some really great 3 fontenien, perennial, boulevard lately...

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

$4$ or rare for rare....I've traded lots of things I bought while traveling and the trade value is the same as what I paid for it at the brewery/store, the only thing that makes Arthur trade higer than its $10 price tag is that its only available at HF. In a recent trade I got Arthur as an extra, so asking a kings ransom for it is way off, IMO.

cveerman

Post by cveerman »

I trade all the time; $4$ is fine of similar rarity. I've bought 3 fontenin for less than $10 and funny enough my last trade; the guy threw in a boulevard saison brett.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

If your ever in Ottawa I'd gladly give away Barrel Aged Buteuse, Dulcis Succubus or Barrel Aged Beau's imperial stout for Arthurs. Though I think you're looking for US stuff. Good luck with your trade!

cveerman

Post by cveerman »

Thanks next time i'm in Ottawa; I know who's got the goods...

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

cveerman wrote:i was implying that i went up and beyond for this beer which i will gladly drink with my friends but brought back a few more for others that can't travel 20 hours to get it. I want the trade to reflect the work I put in. Unfortunately, that disqualifies the people who don't travel and bring back beer as souvenirs.
Not to belabour the point but this is still the attitude to which people are taking exception. You're still saying you feel the beer you have acquired should be valued higher than normal (accounting for scarcity) because you drove to Hill Farmstead and back. This isn't exactly going "up and beyond" as anyone who has ever purchased bottles of hill farmstead beer has probably needed to do precisely that. Also, based on your post, you weren't going there simply to bring back beer to trade and none for yourself so you were going to make the trip anyway. Why should that expense and effort be passed on to the person to whom you're trading? You're not necessarily doing anyone a favour by offering it for trade so why should they owe you more?

Im not trying to pick a fight, but the simple fact is that this attitude smacks of unwarranted entitlement and is ultimately toxic to the beer trading community. You'd probably have more luck if you omitted the comments in question.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Sounds like I'm the only one who understands this guy only wants something hard to get, not necessarily more expensive... am I reading this wrong?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

That's what I'm reading Ian.

I have nothing to offer up that he wants, but I feel no reason to complain about it.

Most people who trade have a mental value of the return they want for a bottle and if it matches up, great. If not, you can either settle or pas on trading it and enjoy the bottle yourself.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cveerman

Post by cveerman »

The core problem is that most can't get beer that's not offered by the lcbo. Trust me I understand.

I can't post http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/t ... on.202051/ as that's not reasonable because we don't have access to those specific beers in Ontario/Quebec.

My offer to find sours/lambics/other barrel aged goodness wasn't to up-sell, it was to find something that you have that I could potentially want.

For transparency; I have a couple trades going: Rodenbach Caractère Rouge, Brasserie de Blaugies/Hill Farmstead La Vermontoise, Logsdon Farmhouse Ales Seizoen Bretta and Swamp Head Brewery Saison Du Swamp. All trades are $4$.

I enjoy trading, it reminds me of baseball cards in the early 90's although there is no beckett (thank god) but every beer/trader does have a story. If you want to trade send me a PM with your list and hopefully we can meet up over a pint.