Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Anyone have an idea who this jackass is?

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

liamt07
Bar Fly

Anyone have an idea who this jackass is?

Post by liamt07 »

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I don't understand, why are you angry at this person?

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

More just annoyed of how "for profit" everything in the beer scene (more so in the US than up here) has become in the past few years. It's no longer about having great beers (glasses in this instance) and sharing these for a lot of the Johnny-come-latelies, it's about making a quick buck off of their peers.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

#typicalChicago

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

liamt07 wrote:... it's about making a quick buck off of (your) peers.
Cool! Thanks for drawing our attention to this profit-making opportunity.
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I'm curious if he actually got $99 for it. That's nuts. I'd sell mine in a heartbeat for that :)

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

I'm a glass geek. I've spent some good money on stemware so I understand the market and demand for pieces like the Volo Zwanze. Anything with the Loon logo is going to get attention. All the Zwanze day glasses are hot right now and the Volo glass is a pretty one.
Considering how many are available to the public (this was the ONLY one listed for public sale) it could have possibly fetched more. How much? No idea.

Is this a bad thing? Doesn't matter. It was the seller's right to sell it for whatever they wanted.
If you are pissed it about the deal sounds more like jealousy (for missing out on the profits) than anything else. Thats just how it comes off. No offense meant.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

FEUO wrote:If you are pissed it about the deal sounds more like jealousy (for missing out on the profits) than anything else. Thats just how it comes off. No offense meant.
Not even remotely. More just annoyed with the fact that beer trading (amongst a wide variety of other (somewhat) niche hobbies) has been penetrated by those who may or may not care about the hobby, but only trying to flip/resell goods unique to that hobby for some dough.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

liamt07 wrote:
FEUO wrote:If you are pissed it about the deal sounds more like jealousy (for missing out on the profits) than anything else. Thats just how it comes off. No offense meant.
Not even remotely. More just annoyed with the fact that beer trading (amongst a wide variety of other (somewhat) niche hobbies) has been penetrated by those who may or may not care about the hobby, but only trying to flip/resell goods unique to that hobby for some dough.
Bah, I tried to fight this trend off on the Quebec side to no avail... the key is, and will always remain to find a group of like-minded, beer-sharing, non-profit traders that you can hook up with, who got your back when special releases come out, and dont try to rip your heart out using rarity and demand as a weapon.

Plenty of those still exist, and if all the craft beer gnomes (1. release, 2. hoard, 3.... 4. profit) eat up all the rare beer, then sad, but you know what, they can't eat up all the Cantillon, so we got em by the balls at the end of the day.

Cheers!

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

liamt07 wrote:
Everytime this kind of complaint comes up, in anything I am a fan of I often wonder, is it the seller who is to blame, or the buyer who may have just paid $99 for a beer glass. I mean without those people paying those prices, there would be no sellers.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

iguenard wrote: the key is, and will always remain to find a group of like-minded, beer-sharing, non-profit traders that you can hook up with, who got your back when special releases come out, and dont try to rip your heart out using rarity and demand as a weapon.

Plenty of those still exist, and if all the craft beer gnomes (1. release, 2. hoard, 3.... 4. profit) eat up all the rare beer, then sad, but you know what, they can't eat up all the Cantillon, so we got em by the balls at the end of the day.

Cheers!
You hit the nail on the head...

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Kel Varnsen wrote:Everytime this kind of complaint comes up, in anything I am a fan of I often wonder, is it the seller who is to blame, or the buyer who may have just paid $99 for a beer glass. I mean without those people paying those prices, there would be no sellers.
Buyer.

Not sure how anyone can be upset about this sort of thing.
lister

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

iguenard wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
Bah, I tried to fight this trend off on the Quebec side to no avail... the key is, and will always remain to find a group of like-minded, beer-sharing, non-profit traders that you can hook up with, who got your back when special releases come out, and dont try to rip your heart out using rarity and demand as a weapon.

Cheers!
Indeed.. there were two glasses from Zwanze in my household this year, and a friend who i frequently drink with missed out on the day itself.. so I gifted him a glass, and he in return gifted a bottle of 750ml Fou Foune for us to split, which was procured in Europe - the reason he missed Zwanze in Toronto... Fou Foune happened to be the only Cantillon I missed out on at Zwanze day too. All worked out in the end.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
Everytime this kind of complaint comes up, in anything I am a fan of I often wonder, is it the seller who is to blame, or the buyer who may have just paid $99 for a beer glass. I mean without those people paying those prices, there would be no sellers.
The market is to blame. Not the seller.
If there weren't idiots like me overpaying for things there would be no discussion. ;)

The glassware game, I think, is nearing its peak and the bubble will soon burst. I've seen it in many hobbies. So many craft brewers are spitting out cool stems with great graphics, but at an alarming rate flooding the market (see: Prairie). As a collector, I'm burnt out.
However, when a rarer or limited piece (not available previously online or in mass quantities) hits the open market I'm interested. And there are MANY folks like me.
Thankfully I already had this one. But I'd never pay $99. Maybe $20.

But show me a DDC, DFH, or Kuhnhenn glass thats 4+ years old and my wallet will be talking. ;)

Cheers, fellas. Have a great weekend.
And if anyone is interested in cool glasses hit me up. I have to cull some of the herd.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i dropped my friend's glass by accident and didn't care about giving her mine.
it's just a glass.
but one dude did walk in at the beginning of this year's zwanze day and bought a dozen glasses. so i assume he's the douchebag