Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Haliburton highlands wheat ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mgmoney

Haliburton highlands wheat ale

Post by mgmoney »

Picked up some of this as well as their abbey and a pale ale on Saturday. The bottle date is July 4 so as fresh as possible. The wheat ale misses the mark completely. Not traditional cloudy appearance. No banana or clove notes at all. Thin mouthfeel no head retention. I love supporting these cottage breweries but this one is a miss. Will review the abbey and pale ale later this week I suspect.
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

According to BeerAdvocate, sounds like a bang-on wheat ale? Probably filtered...and cloves/banana are uncommon for the style, unlike German / Belgian wheat beers.
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/93/

But...whatever the case....I totally forgot about these guys, so thanks for the post...as I may be heading up that way soon and will have to stop by!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yes a German Weizen is where you might or should get clove, banana, vanilla, bubblegum and / or hints of lemon. American Wheat Ales tend to be pretty fecking boring in my opinion. Even North American Hefeweizens can have little else going on but a sweet, glue-like wheat flavor. You can't count in a great beer here like you can with, for example Franziskaner.

I love Side Launch when it's great but honestly it's different all the time, why is that I wonder...
In Beerum Veritas

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

The pale ale from them is a traditional English style pale...good for the style but nothing I'd consider world beating. For a cottage brewery just starting up its decent but average
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...