Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Side Launch Mountain Lager

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Side Launch Mountain Lager

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I've had this a few times now, on draft (Volo) and in the attractive blue can at the Pilot. It is extremely good with rich malt and a gathering bitterness/dryness from high quality Noble hops. It makes its mark by being different to the other Munich-style helles beers available in Ontario. I would say it's less yeasty than those, which personally I prefer as I think, except for keller and similar forms of lager, the malt and hops should sing out fully in the helles tradition.

The canned is very similar to the draft but more fizzy, which I think is a plus.

It's a good contrast with a number of pils styles available in Ontario, either made here or imports. The hops in Mountain Lager make their presence known in a different way and the beer expresses the full malty roundness that was at the origin of Bavarian lager.

An immediate classic in the brewing scene, IMO.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Name makes me feel like I'm buying an update for my Apple OSX.

Really good product line approach, on a good day the Wheat is the best thing around and the Pale and Dunkel are both impressive. Side Launch knows who they are.

They seem to be following the solid footsteps of Creemore with the Mountain Lager! That's not a bad decision either. I like the German classics, and the slightly more rare iterations of older styles… for example who will make an Ontario equivalent of HOTD ADAM?
In Beerum Veritas

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

It's better than creemore. It's superb.
saintjohnswort.ca

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

This is on at the growler fill station at Summerhill right now, if anyone is interested. It is a simple but excellent session lager, especially drinking it this fresh.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

had this on tap last night @ sociable in brantford and thought it was fantastic!