Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Collingwood Fireside ESB

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

alsiem

Collingwood Fireside ESB

Post by alsiem »

Really enjoyed this on tap at Trinity Commons. First beer I've had from this brewery so no idea if this similar to other offerings.

Right in the middle of the style, copper colour, small off white head. Typical caramel malts but I thought the balance with the hops was a bit more North American than a typical british pint. If a pint of bitter style intrigues you, then I would recommend.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

This is coming to the LCBO in tall cans

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

This product has been listed on the LCBO for awhile with no stock (nearly 2 months). Is that normal?

MattS

Post by MattS »

alsiem wrote:This product has been listed on the LCBO for awhile with no stock (nearly 2 months). Is that normal?
Might be no stock near where you are, but if you're doing a wider search, then probably wrong. Definitely available in cans at LCBO's around the Collingwood area.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

MattS wrote:
alsiem wrote:This product has been listed on the LCBO for awhile with no stock (nearly 2 months). Is that normal?
Might be no stock near where you are, but if you're doing a wider search, then probably wrong. Definitely available in cans at LCBO's around the Collingwood area.
The website does not show any stock anywhere.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Yes, that' is interesting that it is in an LCBO but not listed on the site. I am looking at all stores.

MattS

Post by MattS »

I should rephrase I think - it's definitely been in LCBOs here, but I haven't been into one for a couple of weeks, so they could just be out of stock/brewing a new batch.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

From Ontario Beer Network, November 25

http://www.momandhops.ca/12-packs-at-the-lcbo/

The Collingwood Brewery announced it would begin selling a 12-pack of its Fireside Extra Special Bitter in 473ml cans at the LCBO this week.

“We are moving everything to 12-packs,” says Chris Freeman, Head Brewer at The Collingwood Brewery. “For the [Fireside] ESB the price per can is $2.85, so the 12-pack will run $34.20. We expect to have it in at least 100 stores by Christmas.”

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I usually don't bother posting negative things but I really hope they are also selling singles. My favorite beer is currently Lone Pine IPA. I have probably bought 12 cans of that since July. I think that most craft beer lovers enjoy a having a variety of product. I can't imagine that there will be many people interested in this especially if you don't get a discount for buying 12.

Let's see what the market wants.

Still enjoyed the beer and would buy it again on tap.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Drinkvine shows this in stock now at Leaside (among others). Says $2.85 per can, so I presume one can buy singles. Will report back if I get a chance to get over there tomorrow but certainly sounds like they are single cans. No chance I am buying 12 though.

nickw

Post by nickw »

S. St. Jeb wrote:From Ontario Beer Network, November 25

http://www.momandhops.ca/12-packs-at-the-lcbo/

The Collingwood Brewery announced it would begin selling a 12-pack of its Fireside Extra Special Bitter in 473ml cans at the LCBO this week.

“We are moving everything to 12-packs,” says Chris Freeman, Head Brewer at The Collingwood Brewery. “For the [Fireside] ESB the price per can is $2.85, so the 12-pack will run $34.20. We expect to have it in at least 100 stores by Christmas.”
alsiem wrote:I can't imagine that there will be many people interested in this especially if you don't get a discount for buying 12.
I really don't understand why the "12 cans of ESB for $34.20" is an announcement? There's literally no difference between this and me walking into my local LCBO and picking up 12 cans, as 2.85x12 = 34.20. Will they just be packaged in a box as a single unit?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Just got back from Leaside. A single can of Fireside ESB rang through at $2.85 with no fuss or bother. Some sort of mis-communication at some stage, obviously.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

nickw wrote:I really don't understand why the "12 cans of ESB for $34.20" is an announcement? There's literally no difference between this and me walking into my local LCBO and picking up 12 cans, as 2.85x12 = 34.20. Will they just be packaged in a box as a single unit?
Yeah, they come in flimsy cardboard boxes of 12, kind of like Creemore (which I think might be 8's?). No prohibition on ripping the box open and taking the number you want (like Creemore).

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

It's all happening! Finally some stock. Cheers

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Finally tried this in a can.

Colour: Beautiful deep red, assuming that this is driving the name.
Taste: Complex malts with a compensating bitterness. This for me was not as good as I had initially remembered it from my pint. I had interpreted this as a mash up of traditional malting for the style with a more aggressive north american hopping. Here though, just bittering hops that balance the malts.

Smell: Astringent, I cannot get any woody, earthy, fruity smells like you might get from a traditional pint of bitter.

Overall: A nice ESB, very much in the centre of style. Surprising that this is nearly 6%, obviously a lot of sugars from the malts. One could definitely have more than one of these and I would definitely order one to go with an English pub meal.