Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Deep Tracks American Brown Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

alsiem

Deep Tracks American Brown Ale

Post by alsiem »

Pours a deep dark brown, looks ruby at the edges when held up to the light. Thick tan head, 1 1/2 inches which recedes leaving a 1/4 inch for the life of the pint. Starts out with the malts, nutty and toasty but never gets too sweet with a long dry bittering finish. Can says hopped with centennial.

I like it. The only comparable beer I can think of in the market is Eephus (which I like more) but after wildly inconsistent IPA hopping, this seems to be straight forward enough that hopefully Flying Monkeys can do this one well over the long haul. If you find Downtown Brown too sweet but like Brown ales in general, definately give this a try.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

I enjoyed this one more by the end of the glass then the beginning. It grew on me but I prefer a brown ale to be a tad more malt forward and opposite to you I like them a little sweeter and less hop forward. Kinda reminded me a bit of tankhouse.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I liked this one too.. reminded me a bit of the Great Lakes 666 beer that used to be around

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Yeah I enjoyed this as well...liked the higher Ibus than most brown ales but if you're more into traditional brown ales I could see this not being up to expectations re: maltiness
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...