Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Market Brewing Company - Bear Hug IPA Preview

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Hoppy's Tavern

Market Brewing Company - Bear Hug IPA Preview

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

Hi everyone,

Check out the soon to open brewery in Newmarket, received a test sample.

Last edited by Hoppy's Tavern on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

I thought this was photo worthy so I attached a photo to the original post

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Love the look of that IPA. I'm at work and busy later this evening so might not get a chance to see your review. How was it? What's it's stack up against compared to other Ontario IPA's?

Cheers
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

Love the look of that IPA. I'm at work and busy later this evening so might not get a chance to see your review. How was it? What's it's stack up against compared to other Ontario IPA's?

Cheers
There are two other IPA that I enjoyed, the Hopbot IPA and Flight Delay IPA.

What differentiates this IPA from the two mentioned above is the mouthfeel, very smooth, the bitterness, dryness and grapefruit flavor none are overpowering each other and all three for some reason were complimenting each other.
I found myself wanting to drink more, I wanted those flavors in my mouth.

Where the two listed above were good, but the bitterness was taking over all the other flavors

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Hoppy's Tavern wrote:

Cheers
There are two other IPA that I enjoyed, the Hopbot IPA and Flight Delay IPA.

What differentiates this IPA from the two mentioned above is the mouthfeel, very smooth, the bitterness, dryness and grapefruit flavor none are overpowering each other and all three for some reason were complimenting each other.
I found myself wanting to drink more, I wanted those flavors in my mouth.

Where the two listed above were good, but the bitterness was taking over all the other flavors
Hmm hard to understand how to take this. I love hopbot but dislike flight delay lol.

Have you had a ballast point grapefruit sculpin? If so are they similar in taste or only in the fact that both have a grapefruit backbone?

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Hoppy have you tried Collective Arts Ransack or Great Lakes Lake Effect yet? Would be interested how they compare to those

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

keep in mind that the OP rated Boneshaker as a 3.9/5.
so i'd take that as you like.

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

keep in mind that the OP rated Boneshaker as a 3.9/5.
so i'd take that as you like.
The Boneshaker was also an OK IPA, it lacked on the aroma compared to the other three above.
Back of the palate dryness was also a more pronounced mouthfeel.

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

Have you had a ballast point grapefruit sculpin? If so are they similar in taste or only in the fact that both have a grapefruit backbone?
Hoppy have you tried Collective Arts Ransack or Great Lakes Lake Effect yet? Would be interested how they compare to those
I haven't tried any of the above, however I just added them to my list, next time I go to LCBO I will look for them.

Thanks for the suggestions

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Hoppy's Tavern wrote:
I haven't tried any of the above, however I just added them to my list, next time I go to LCBO I will look for them.

Thanks for the suggestions
You'll have to cross the border for some grapefruit sculpin.

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

Market Brewing Company will be at the Beerfest Ottawa