Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Whitewater Brewing - Farmer's Daughter

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Hoppy's Tavern

Whitewater Brewing - Farmer's Daughter

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

Hoppy's Tavern with another review of a Blonde ale.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Good sir,
I kindly ask that you don't spend time reviewing beer from breweries that don't give 3 shits about being misogynists.
that can is sexist and completely unnecessary.

you call it an "attractive can". maybe to sad, lonely men. not saying that you're one of them, but by praising that can, you're doing yourself a disservice.

please read Ben Johnson's blog as an educational/reference point.
https://bensbeerblog.com/2017/02/02/let ... marketing/

thanks

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

Good sir,
I kindly ask that you don't spend time reviewing beer from breweries that don't give 3 shits about being misogynists.

you call it an "attractive can". maybe to sad, lonely men. not saying that you're one of them, but by praising that can, you're doing yourself a disservice.
Didn't even think about the design of the can that much, I do like the plain silver, yellow graphics, not as busy as most craft beers.
As far as the design of the woman on the can never even paid attention to it, even my wife didn't even noticed it as sexist, Mrs. Hoppy did pick it out for me.

However, if I did offend anyone with my review I apologize for my behavior as i didn't think it was inappropriate, some people are more tolerable than others.
As far as reviewing a beer, the design on the can will not prevent me from reviewing the beer, however I will be more careful on words to use to describe the can design.

Why do people keep using someone else's saying, I've seen over and over.
BakaGaijin wrote:

You can continue to suck them off as the dutiful fanboy you are. Swallow if you like.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Hoppy's Tavern wrote:
Good sir,

Didn't even think about the design of the can that much, I do like the plain silver, yellow graphics, not as busy as most craft beers.
As far as the design of the woman on the can never even paid attention to it, even my wife didn't even noticed it as sexist, Mrs. Hoppy did pick it out for me.

However, if I did offend anyone with my review I apologize for my behavior as i didn't think it was inappropriate, some people are more tolerable than others.
As far as reviewing a beer, the design on the can will not prevent me from reviewing the beer, however I will be more careful on words to use to describe the can design.

Why do people keep using someone else's saying, I've seen over and over.
BakaGaijin wrote:

You can continue to suck them off as the dutiful fanboy you are. Swallow if you like.
the bone to pick isn't with you. it's with the brewery (and any brewery who manages to both insult women and the consumer with this type of stupid, sexist logo).
simple answer: a business should not be objectifying a man or a woman on their packaging or marketing material in order to draw attention and/or drum up sales.
this goes for 2 of Nickelbrook's cans. see this as an example of both a horrible looking can and a sexist can. http://www.lcbo.com/content/dam/lcbo/pr ... .1280.jpeg)

i just ask you, as a reviewer (big or small) to try not to support businesses that have this kind of packaging.

and my quote that i had is a reminder of a poster using a homophobic visual to try to win an internet debate.