GLB Tetrahedron Belgian Quad (Rum Barrel Aged)

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

BartOwl

GLB Tetrahedron Belgian Quad (Rum Barrel Aged)

Postby BartOwl » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:07 pm

I picked this beer up at Great Lakes Brewery in Etobicoke. It has a dark brown colour between a triple and a typical quad, so it is lighter than usual. There is almost no head to this one. Aroma of rum, orange candy, and chocolate. I can taste rum, brown sugar, molasses, with some earthiness in the finish. Also, there is a light spiciness to it, probably due to the yeast strain. At 11.5% the alcohol is hidden well. I was hoping for some more richness and dark malts complexity, when I bought it for ten bucks. It's not quite as impressive as a Trappist quad. However, this is a good beer, and I am glad I tried it. In addition, there was a Tetrahedron Belgian Quad aged in wine barrels, but I did not get that one. I'm glad to see this brewer experimenting with Belgian styles, and they have done a good job of balancing the rum barrel aging tastes against the underlying beer. The rum taste is not too overpower and not too subtle.
seangm

Re: GLB Tetrahedron Belgian Quad (Rum Barrel Aged)

Postby seangm » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:22 am

BartOwl wrote:I picked this beer up at Great Lakes Brewery in Etobicoke. It has a dark brown colour between a triple and a typical quad, so it is lighter than usual. There is almost no head to this one. Aroma of rum, orange candy, and chocolate. I can taste rum, brown sugar, molasses, with some earthiness in the finish. Also, there is a light spiciness to it, probably due to the yeast strain. At 11.5% the alcohol is hidden well. I was hoping for some more richness and dark malts complexity, when I bought it for ten bucks. It's not quite as impressive as a Trappist quad. However, this is a good beer, and I am glad I tried it. In addition, there was a Tetrahedron Belgian Quad aged in wine barrels, but I did not get that one. I'm glad to see this brewer experimenting with Belgian styles, and they have done a good job of balancing the rum barrel aging tastes against the underlying beer. The rum taste is not too overpower and not too subtle.

In all honesty I've yet to have a locally made quad that comes anywhere close to the Trappists (or non-Trappist Belgians for that matter), and in a lot of cases barrel ageing a quad seems like an attempt to add complexity to an otherwise lacking recipe. Tripels too, for that matter. I guess those styles just aren't "sexy" enough to warrant a lot of development.

Reminds me that I've got the St. Bernardus Selection Pack sitting in my fridge, can't wait to crack open that Abt 12.

Return to “Beer Reviews”