Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Dragons Milk

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Dragons Milk

Post by spinrsx »

An interesting brew. Not over the top in sweetness or bourbon, but still packs a punch in ABV. Very drinkable and a nice well rounded flavour. I guess I was expecting something more robust, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Almost seems like just a stout rather than and imperial version. Can't see this improving with age really, seems about perfect now.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

spinrsx wrote: Can't see this improving with age really, seems about perfect now.
the alcohol burn will settle down and blend well with the barrel.
it will age just fine in 1 year.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I loved this! It reminds me of a milk stout though I'm not sure if it is.
Very well hidden ABV, no real alcohol burn that I noticed, great flavors from the barrell as well.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

admviolin wrote:I loved this! It reminds me of a milk stout though I'm not sure if it is.
It's a Bourbon Barrel Stout.

Munich Crystal Caramel Black and Chocolate barley malt + flaked barley.
Glacier and Nugget hops.

The oak often suggests a vanilla character (when oak is 'toasted' or charred it produces the aldehyde compound Vanillin, also known as vanilla substitute.)
In Beerum Veritas

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I found there to be a sweetness similar to a milk stout....and then I got tripped up on the name thinking it was a clue.

Has anyone brewed an imperial milk stout before?

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

admviolin wrote: Has anyone brewed an imperial milk stout before?
Charlevoix's La Vache Folle is an imperial milk stout.
I believe one of the Flying Monkeys chocolate beers was a milk stout as well.
Ren

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

admviolin wrote:Has anyone brewed an imperial milk stout before?
Dum dum dum dummm.....

We got this here in 2009, pretty extreme lactose sweetness. I would not buy more than one, adm - the ST MoKah is WAY better I think.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

picked up a few cases of this stuff. Planning ahead - who knows if the lcbo will ever have another bourbon barrel aged stout (at this price) again.

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

I'm interested in trying this beer, but I'm a little hesitant as the BA review is only 3.97. While not low, I tend to shy away from most stouts below 4 as they usually dissappoint. Also, I would have to get some ordered to my LCBO as they didn't make it here. Can someone offer a comparisin beer(s)??

Backwoods any where near this?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Having it now -- I find it to be not bad, good but not great. I'm not a RB or BA guy so perhaps don't have the context, but 3.97 seems about right to me. I certainly prefer La Vache Folle. The barrel really expresses as black licorice and vanilla, to my palate. It's a nice sipper.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

beerguykw wrote: Backwoods any where near this?
Backwoods isn't a stout and it's aged in different barrels, so why would they be similar?

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
beerguykw wrote: Backwoods any where near this?
Backwoods isn't a stout and it's aged in different barrels, so why would they be similar?
I was focusing more on the barrel ageing not the style. I guess I was just looking for how the barrel character came across.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

unbalanced but tasty stuff. getting huge barrel qualities out of this one

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

I found a bottle! I definitely get the bourbon barrel, I feel it's better than the 3.99 BA gives it. Not quite refined as some others, but ageing could do it good

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

For the amount of barrel Oak character it maintains a balance and smoothness that is pleasing and the vanilla presence is quite tasty. Of course by vanilla I mean the oak from the barrel then there's the caramel candy corn flavor from the bourbon plus sweet dark raisiny fruit and toasty toffee - all very nicely proportioned.
In Beerum Veritas