Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Cruiser

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

JeffPorter wrote:I think like most styles, some I like some I don't...cruiser strikes me as more of a happy pale ale and it's delicious. Fresh detour is also great. Stay Classy though was never really my thing...Still happy the style is there as an option. Sometimes you want a hope fix without a 7% beer.
I love a happy pale ale. Maudlin pale ales can go suck eggs.
saintjohnswort.ca

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

saints_gambit wrote:I love a happy pale ale. Maudlin pale ales can go suck eggs.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

No more writing posts on my phone...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

boney wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:
boney wrote:It's pretty much the only style I wish would just die.
Not liking a style is fine, but I don't see any rationale for wishing a style to die? :-?
Don't tell me what I can irrationally hate, God damn whippersnapper!

Session IPA's would be fine by me if the vast majority of them were any good, which I find they are not. I personally have little use for the style because it takes tap space, shelf space and brewing effort away from styles that I enjoy more. So that's my rationale. But this is just an opinion, however, as taste is subjective and people can like or dislike whatever they choose.
I never questioned your taste, or your dislike for the style, and didn't try to tell you anything.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

S. St. Jeb wrote: I never questioned your taste, or your dislike for the style, and didn't try to tell you anything.
How dare you tell me what you didn't tell me!!! Whippersnapper!!!!!!

I'm just taking the piss.

To be completely transparent, I haven't tried Cruiser yet, but I'm sure it will be the worst beer in the history of the universe. As such, I will likely give it my lowest Untappd rating ever......3 stars.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm looking forward to trying this... Love hoppy pale ales. I agree that a lot of ISAs are thin hop juice though.

I recently picked up a Red Collar 'Mild' (newish brewery in Kamloops), because I saw it had mosaic hops. 3.8%, 32 IBU and quite dark, with biscuity and nutty malt flavours, decent body and a generous hopping. Definitely leaning towards a bitter, but a really flavourful and balanced sessionable brew.

I think the ISA is a current fad... But why aren't Brewers doing American Bitters? Does the word 'bitter' still have a negative connotation? Even in this hop crazy world?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:No more writing posts on my phone...
Good luck with your hope fix.

You can train your phone to accept valid beer parlance like "hoppy/hoppier/hoppiest" as well as "malty but not well malted" and "Quad is barrelling aroma".
In Beerum Veritas

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Looking forward to trying the bottled version. I was a huge fan of it back when it didn't have the "session" or "all day" or whatever term attached when it was at the Brewhouse. Tasted like an Amsterdam Brewhouse approach to hoppy beer (some of their saisons and other pales have a similar approach). Very nice.

I worry about the production that it doesn't go the way of Boneshaker...

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Derek wrote:I'm looking forward to trying this... Love hoppy pale ales. I agree that a lot of ISAs are thin hop juice though.

I recently picked up a Red Collar 'Mild' (newish brewery in Kamloops), because I saw it had mosaic hops. 3.8%, 32 IBU and quite dark, with biscuity and nutty malt flavours, decent body and a generous hopping. Definitely leaning towards a bitter, but a really flavourful and balanced sessionable brew.

I think the ISA is a current fad... But why aren't Brewers doing American Bitters? Does the word 'bitter' still have a negative connotation? Even in this hop crazy world?
I agree and was thinking the same thing. Fuller's London Pride, Young's Special, Taylor's Landlord etc are fantastic beers that are around or just over 4% abv. Where are the American versions of these? Bitter, yes, but also balanced, not thin hop juice. Having said that, sometimes a hoppy pale ale/ISA just hits the spot. Had lunch at C'est What yesterday and had a 3.8% Junction Desert Rail that was just perfect for the occasion. Not sure how it would be classified, but it was just right.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Trying Cruiser for the first time - got a sixer for Super Sunday (though missed out on the free glass :( )

This is really good. Any comments above about thin ISAs definitely do not apply to this beer specifically. Great effort from Amsterdam. Lovely pineapple / tropical / citrus flavours.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Had it on tap last night. A solid APA. Not spectacular, but solid.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Picked up a 6 pack today. Sign me
Up for The "love it" side. Incredibly easy drinking

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Picked up a 6 pack today. Sign me
Up for The "love it" side. Incredibly easy drinking
agreed, right up there with Nickelbrook Naughty Neighbour for my fav session pale

vincho

Post by vincho »

There is something very perversely satisfying about a new beer that just recently came out. I loved this when Mad Tom first came out and the same when Smashbomb, Red Racer, Nickelbrook etc came out with their offerings. It's also a good way to remind yourself of being on a patio on a hot summer night.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Had this on tap for first time last night. Great again. Sessionable. Wasn't inclined to order anything else all evening.