Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Cruiser

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

chris_schryer

Amsterdam Cruiser

Post by chris_schryer »

If you haven't gotten this yet, do. It's fantastic. Lovely hop aroma, with citrus, pine and pepper. 4.9% means it's a pale, not a Session IPA, and I kind of prefer it that way.... Available at both retail stores, and some bars around the city. My full review is on my blog
http://www.torontobeerblog.com/beer-rev ... rewing-co/

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Thanks for the heads up Chris. I live right by the BrewHouse store but don't always keep up with their social media and website updates so I often miss out on their special releases. Will definitely drop by the store to grab some of this. Cheers!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Picked up a sixer of this on Friday and it didn't last long. Does not disappoint on the hop front. I tasted some grape notes in there too.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

This doesn't appear to be in the LCBO system. I assume those who have purchased it did so at TBS?

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:This doesn't appear to be in the LCBO system. I assume those who have purchased it did so at TBS?
most likely at the queens quay location..

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

rfrf wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:This doesn't appear to be in the LCBO system. I assume those who have purchased it did so at TBS?
most likely at the queens quay location..
Makes sense. I read that this was hitting LCBO, so thought it might be out already. Thanks.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I got mine at the brewery store at Eglinton and Laird.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I grabbed a sixer the other night and agree that it's a gem. The nose is similar to the Autumn Hop, with those grapey aromas popping up again, but there's some nice tropical notes as well. And I enjoy the punchy-citric hop flavours and lightly drying palate. Also, there are beers that are sessionable, and then there are beers that are crushable. This one is crushable. :lol:

I'll be buying a lot of this over the winter.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

The Cruiser is currently on cask at Bar Hop.
lister

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Like this beer a lot. It's curious that they subtitled it "All Day Pale Ale". I hope they don't try to release this in Michigan :)

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Cass wrote:Like this beer a lot. It's curious that they subtitled it "All Day Pale Ale". I hope they don't try to release this in Michigan :)
not to sound like an old man, but this is the 2nd time this week where i've been a bit disappointed by verbiage used by breweries.

an "all day pale ale" and (from another Toronto brewery) "very crushable" beer.
like...make the beer. let me figure out my lifestyle and how I want to drink it. suggesting i crush beer (fratboy) or am sitting down and drinking for 12 hours (other issues) is not far from the spectrum that Miller and Bud and Coors lifestyle that's suggested in their commercials.

again: brew the beer. call it what you want. make a nice label. that's cool. but stop with the "all day" and "crushable" shit.

/rant .
/goes back into retirement home

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'm less rant-y than that :), but "All Day IPA" is trademarked by Founders. Probably not something they'd be happy about in the current craft beer climate.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

atomeyes wrote:
Cass wrote:Like this beer a lot. It's curious that they subtitled it "All Day Pale Ale". I hope they don't try to release this in Michigan :)
not to sound like an old man, but this is the 2nd time this week where i've been a bit disappointed by verbiage used by breweries.

an "all day pale ale" and (from another Toronto brewery) "very crushable" beer.
like...make the beer. let me figure out my lifestyle and how I want to drink it. suggesting i crush beer (fratboy) or am sitting down and drinking for 12 hours (other issues) is not far from the spectrum that Miller and Bud and Coors lifestyle that's suggested in their commercials.

again: brew the beer. call it what you want. make a nice label. that's cool. but stop with the "all day" and "crushable" shit.

/rant .
Relax. They're just terms denoting high drinkability and deliciousness. As in, you can drink one of these in under half an hour 'cause it's low alcohol and tasty as hell.

To suggest that Amsterdam, Bellwoods, and Founders are targeting fratboys because they market one of their beers as "crushable" or something you can drink "all day" is outrageous. But even if they were going after that demographic (which they aren't), you said in the other thread that you were cool with Stone targeting "brahs." So which is it?

Also, you want the brewers to let you figure out your own lifestyle without making assumptions, but are willing to make wild, unfounded assumptions about what the terms sessionable/crushable/all day mean, and who they're aimed at.

They're just light-hearted, almost meaningless terms, asking the consumer to drink the beer because it's flavourful and you can have a few without getting blasted. That's it.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

atomeyes wrote:
/rant .
*puts foot on lawn*
lister

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

cratez wrote:

Relax. They're just terms denoting high drinkability and deliciousness. As in, you can drink one of these in under half an hour 'cause it's low alcohol and tasty as hell.
and then crack open another 1 or 20. anyways...
To suggest that Amsterdam, Bellwoods, and Founders are targeting fratboys because they market one of their beers as "crushable" or something you can drink "all day" is outrageous. But even if they were going after that demographic (which they aren't), you said in the other thread that you were cool with Stone targeting "brahs." So which is it?
have you been to Founders' brewpub in Grand Rapids? it's a total frathouse. no, there's no beer snake, but it's all college kids and i don't think it's a hip or cool bar. it's ridiculously huge and beautiful, but yeah, Founders looks like they know their demographic and it isn't beardos and weirdos.

Stone: I'm not their target and i don't buy their beer unless it's Enjoy Buy. their names and labels and claims of dankness don't do it for me.
Also, you want the brewers to let you figure out your own lifestyle without making assumptions, but are willing to make wild, unfounded assumptions about what the terms sessionable/crushable/all day mean, and who they're aimed at.
and you made an assumption yourself by saying i was wrong and you understood their message. :)
They're just light-hearted, almost meaningless terms, asking the consumer to drink the beer because it's flavourful and you can have a few without getting blasted. That's it.
light-hearted? sure.
meaningless? absolutely not.
deep meaning? likely not.

i'd rather you tell me that beer A is a great beer to have on a summer day after i mow my lawn instead of saying "you can totally crush that!" Just my opinion.