Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Trials and Tribulations

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mgmoney

Bellwoods Trials and Tribulations

Post by mgmoney »

The Un-Witchshark...had yesterday super hoppy, resiny DIPA. Not as balanced as Boogie Monster or Witchshark, lacked a malt backbone as the hops were in yer face...Love to hear others thoughts about it
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I wasn't impressed with it. It has almost ZERO nose and, although it packed a good bitterness, the flavour profile from the hops was fairly muted.

Sadly, it was still good enough to be as good as the best IPA being produced by many other Ontario breweries (save for GLB and a couple of others) but for Bellwoods' standards, it was nowhere near where it should be.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:I wasn't impressed with it. It has almost ZERO nose and, although it packed a good bitterness, the flavour profile from the hops was fairly muted.
Funny, that's how I feel about witchshark, except it has a nose (that I feel oversells the beer).
WitchShark, I feel, is highly overrated and I like boogie substantially better (talking 3.5 vs 4.5).
Trials... sits in the middle, I had it fresh day of release and there was definitely a nose, which was mostly pleasing. Taste more or less followed that, there was malt presence and actually had a slight cereal note that I did find a bit distracting.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

I thought it was OK considering that they had no intention on brewing this, I enjoyed the dank aspects of this. Not nearly as good as some of their other hoppy offerings though.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

WitchShark, I feel, is highly overrated and I like boogie monster substantially better (talking 3.5 vs 4.5).
Well I really don't enjoy WitchShark or Roman Candle all that much so I'll have to try Boogie Monster and see. As I've said I vastly prefer the simple Monogamy varietal hop series.
In Beerum Veritas

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Belgian wrote:
WitchShark, I feel, is highly overrated and I like boogie monster substantially better (talking 3.5 vs 4.5).
Well I really don't enjoy WitchShark or Roman Candle all that much so I'll have to try Boogie Monster and see. As I've said I vastly prefer the simple Monogamy varietal hop series.
can't really compare WS to Boogie Monster.
i really dig WS for the viscous mouthfeel, amarillo hops and the booze.
Boogie Monster's more of a drinkable hop juice. it's fresh and clean and tasty.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

atomeyes wrote:
Belgian wrote:
can't really compare WS to Boogie Monster.
i really dig WS for the viscous mouthfeel, amarillo hops and the booze.
If you can't compare beers in the same style (in this case imperial/double IPAs) what can you compare?
That makes almost no sense.

Witchshark, for me, is unexciting and relatively boring compared to the rest of Belly's lineup (regardless of style).

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

atomeyes wrote: can't really compare WS to Boogie Monster.
the guy who goes on to compare the two wrote: i really dig WS for the viscous mouthfeel, amarillo hops and the booze.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

instantkamera wrote:
atomeyes wrote: can't really compare WS to Boogie Monster.
the guy who goes on to compare the two wrote: i really dig WS for the viscous mouthfeel, amarillo hops and the booze.
lol.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

as in:
one is a double IPA and one is an IPA.
but here's the reason why they're different and both good.

but, ok.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

atomeyes wrote:as in:

but, ok.
I guess we'll just have to take your word for it, and not RB/BA's classification, nor the brewery's own website, where both beers are listed as Imperial IPA.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

velovampire wrote:
atomeyes wrote:as in:

but, ok.
I guess we'll just have to take your word for it, and not RB/BA's classification, nor the brewery's own website, where both beers are listed as Imperial IPA.
well, one is 8% abv and one is 9% abv.
that's about...1% difference in abv.

so there's that.
but sure. both are imperial IPAs.
as you requested, i checked the website and they are both listed by the brewery as IIPAs.

from beeradvocate
Take an India Pale Ale and feed it steroids, ergo the term Double IPA. Although open to the same interpretation as its sister styles, you should expect something robust, malty, alcoholic and with a hop profile that might rip your tongue out. The Imperial usage comes from Russian Imperial stout, a style of strong stout originally brewed in England for the Russian Imperial Court of the late 1700s; though Double IPA is often the preferred name.
malty = witchshark.
robust = witchshark.
alcoholic (palate-wise) = witchshark
tongue ripping = witchshark, in comparison.

whoops! comparing the two again!

Boogie Monster's juicier. Witchshark is more resinous and alcohol forward. that was kind of my initial point.
i'd say that Witchshark tastes more like a IIPA than Boogie Monster. one man's opinion.
kind of.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

As atom just explained, there are different factors which can make an IPA seem more like a "regular" or a "double" IPA. Alcoholic strength, resinous, citrus impression, overall impression of strength and fullness… There are double IPAs that in fact are fairly mellow to drink, such as Phillips Amnesiac; conversely there are also fairly brash single IPAs that have a lot of hop attack.

To my thinking, the only really objective comparison between double and single IPAs might be the relative gravity and the relative alcoholic strength. It is only incidental that's double IPAs may tend to have a more big and brash hop signature, although that is not a given. Or a necessity. It is simply a convenience the Brewers simply can load on more hops in proportion to other ingredients in an increased grain bill. Properties other than gravity and alcoholic strength are all on a broad continuum the do not overlap evenly with other IPAs to easily classify them on those other merits. And at some point it's silly that we need to differentiate them all in a clear manner, they are all IPAs.
In Beerum Veritas