Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Henninger lager

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Henninger lager

Post by G.M. Gillman »

From Frankfurt, which Michael Jackson early on typed as a non-specific German beer area, i.e., not known for one or more styles, which does not prevent this beer from being a very good blonde lager - when fresh. This sample is from the black can currently available at TBS.

When it first came in about 6 months ago it was over-aged IMO, with a strong taste that sometimes German beer gets when stored too long after packaging.

In contrast, this current canning is almost draft-like in freshness and throwing rings in the glass. The taste is correspondingly much better, with a complex Noble hop note, medium body and quite a notable yeast background. Unlike many German lagers, I don't get any DMS or hydrogen sulphide, there is another thing happening with this yeast though which I recognize from other beers, not necessarily German, hard to describe but it works well with the pale malt and mineral/herbal German hops.

Most German imports here are not nearly as good as this is right now - if I buy the same can in month, not sure it will be as good. No time like the present.

Gary

P.S. There is perhaps a faint connection to Henninger when it was brewed in Hamilton under license, but suffice it to say this original is much better.
Gary Gillman