Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Trafalgar ESB, Chocolate Orange Porter, Mighty Oak

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

groulxsome

Trafalgar ESB, Chocolate Orange Porter, Mighty Oak

Post by groulxsome »

My hands were sweaty as I walked toward the counter. I was about to do something I swore I would never do again. My heart was racing. The LCBO cashier looked at me with a mix of surprise and distain. Then I could see it click in his brain… “this guy called a brewery a scumlord on twitter after that brewery won big at an award ceremony.” He smiled as if to say, “don’t worry, it happens all the time.” Though actually he just mutters a reassuring, “air miles?”

As I walked home with my four Trafalgar Ales and Meads, I worried about where I’d be sleeping tonight. I had promised my girlfriend I would never, ever buy any of their products again after a particularly gross tasting bottle of Hop Nouveau. But here I was. Going against the collective beer geek better judgement. A bag overburdened with a Chocolate Orange Porter, an ESB, an Imperial Oaked Brown Ale, and a Ginger Mead (which I will not be discussing; I’ve not had enough meads).

I get that Trafalgar must have made something good to get past a tasting panel of well-trained beer judges at the Ontario Beer Awards. While their gold medal winning Schwartzy stout and coffee Schwartzy stout were nowhere to be found in Toronto - or even as placeholder pages on ratebeer, untappd, or beer advocate - I was assured, they do exist for public consumption. They must be respectable beers. Similarly their other winners, a ginger beer and a highly touted pumpkin ale, must have something going for them. Maybe, just maybe, Trafalgar has improved.

Now, winning “best newcomer” at the awards… that’s debatable. Sure they hadn’t won or perhaps even entered since 2007... but many of the breweries in the competition have existed for less time than Trafalgar has snubbed the OBAs. A brewery from the 1990s born again? Perhaps it was a kind of rapprochement. A sending of Dennis Rodman to North Korea brokering of the peace between the beer snob elite (the West?) and the everyman of Trafalgar (a deranged dictatorship?). A kind welcome back to the fold of a brewery maybe about to turn things around.

That’s sure not how most saw it. “Negative comments” (which one should not normally respond to?) abounded. Someone even called the brewery a scumlord on twitter!

The only way to get fresh data about the potential improvement of the brewery was to drink them. So I put my money where my mouth was and picked up four bottles from Yonge and Summerhill. I chilled them and poured them into a simple tulip. Sure it wouldn’t be blind, but most beer drinking is done with all the messy attachments to the world fully intact.

For full disclosure. I really wanted to be wrong about these beers. I’m not some sadomasochistic person who wants to spend $18 for some bad beer and to write a longwinded vindictive post on some forum. I mean, I’ll do it, but I’d rather have some good beer along the way. I had hoped, like Isaiah, to bring the good news.

Here goes…

ESB. Clear copper with a loose white head. Round caramel malts, earthy and floral hops. Sharp, resinous/earthy bitterness, maybe a little metallic. Low carbonation and a touch thin/watery in the finish. I cannot find any obvious faults or issues. Trying to remove the Trafalgar connection and imaging it’s a pint from Granite… it’s really quite decent. Well hopped with a balanced caramel malt character. Some (like my now annoyed girlfriend) might say the malt is thin and one-dimensional. I thought it was pleasant enough. If you like ESBs, then maybe give this one a shot again.

Chocolate Orange Porter. Black with a very loose tan head (oils from the orange seem to be making short work of it). Orange Crush smelling orange peel with some odd earthy character. That Orange Crush character holds over and is met with some bitter, chalky cocoa, and smoky roasted malt. Thin and watery with a light carbonation. Comes across as far too much orange (which at least doesn't taste artificial) for far too little porter with some messy cocoa in the middle confusing the whole lot. I didn’t finish this.

The Might Oak, Imperial Oaked Brown Ale: Dark brown with a thin, loose tan head. Caramel malts, vanilla (American oak), and some toffee. Sweet caramel malts with a single, vanilla almost over soaked oak cube character (ever soaked oak cubes in liquor to condition them? This tastes a little like the resulting liquid). A touch vegetal. Almost no hop character and very low bitterness. Thin and low carbonation. Again, trying to play devil’s advocate… if this was from Great Lakes would I like it more? Probably not. It would be a clunking dud from them, where it’d be a marginal win here. But if you love American oak enough to drink a pint of it (at points it almost tasted like vanilla ice-cream with the sweet malts) and can look past the thin body, this might be worth trying.

What have I learned? Biggest revelation is that there is a Trafalgar beer that I can drink. The ESB. None were infected. All the beers had a strange thinness to them (even the “imperial”) on the finish. The seasonal beers seemed more poorly executed and messy than the other, regular lineup beer. “Ambition’s a tricky thing… ambition can backfire,” someone once said. Sounds about right.

Has Trafalgar improved? I don’t think so. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I can imagine their occasional offerings can sometimes, like the Schwartzy stout, do something totally fantastic. But that’s not the point. That’s not why I stopped buying them in the first place. It was a matter of consistency. It was a matter of their beers tasting like they were made to slot into an LCBO release, move one unit at a time, and then steal off like a thief into the night.

So Trafalgar, I tried. I want to like you. Wholeheartedly. I just need evidence to support that. And that, to this point, is lacking. Maybe someone else on here has a more positive experience with these beers? I’m begging to be convinced. ISO: Schwartzy.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

An amusing write-up, even if the conclusion was as predictable as a sunrise.

I understand why Trafalgar used to be such a ubiquitous presence in this province, back in the middle of last decade. The competition wasn't as strong; not nearly as many craft beers listed at the LCBO. They were one of the few breweries that could produce enough product (infected or not) to actually get it listed and stocked at most of the bigger liquor stores in the province.

But it really does baffle me that they still seem to have no trouble finding shelf space. Who buys this shit? Is it all just masochistic geeks like groulxsome and myself, buying one overpriced bottle at a time, solely to post lukewarm, pithy reviews telling others to save their money? Surely there must be a few people who actually purchase and drink the beer because they enjoy it.

Seriously. People poke fun at Beau's constantly, and their beers are pretty overpriced. But at least you can recognize the fact that they're putting effort into it. Trafalgar beers, on the other hand, have always tasted like bad-to-mediocre homebrew, which is ridiculous considering how long the place has been in operation. It boggles the mind.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I think that strange thinness is just an infection that hasn't reached your flavour threshold yet.

They've always done some interesting stuff, and it's not bad when it's fresh from the brewery, but it ALWAYS goes downhill.

They're always making new things (or just relabelling), and I think there's a lot of people that just like to try new things...

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Thank you for taking one for the team Groulxsome. Good write up!
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I stood in front of the Trafalgar line-up at the Leaside LCBO this morning for a good 45 seconds,thinking back on this post. The (slightly) improved labels might have had me thinking about buying a bottle or two a week ago. Your post saved me the trouble. Thanks Groulxsome!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Thanks for the good notes. Jordan told me the other day, 'best newcomer'?

Well it can't hurt to try a new beer, if you just don't care for any of them get your refund in exchange for providing customer feedback.
In Beerum Veritas

loudman

Post by loudman »

Belgian wrote:Thanks for the good notes. Jordan told me the other day, 'best newcomer'?

Well it can't hurt to try a new beer, if you just don't care for any of them get your refund in exchange for providing customer feedback.
If you add up all the points based on medals (5 for gold, 3 for silver, 1 for bronze) Trafalgar wins with 3 gold and 3 silver at 24 points.

loudman

Post by loudman »

groulxsome wrote:My hands were sweaty as I walked toward the counter. I was about to do something I swore I would never do again. My heart was racing. The LCBO cashier looked at me with a mix of surprise and distain.

So Trafalgar, I tried. I want to like you. Wholeheartedly. I just need evidence to support that. And that, to this point, is lacking. Maybe someone else on here has a more positive experience with these beers? I’m begging to be convinced. ISO: Schwartzy.
Spot on review, groulxsome. Derek, please sit down.

What many folks do NOT know is Trafalgar has undergone tremendous changes over the last year and really has reinvented itself. It's been a rough road and not as fast as we'd like. There's new blood brewers from the Niagara College program and 2 craft veterans. Yes, the beershack.ca boys - under contract, have been working closely with the owner to really turn things around. Vastly improved quality, creativity, and consistency. The result is the Blacklabel series entered in OBA (and CBA) and the new core Black Creek and Trafalgar brands. Today's Trafalgar really is a "newcomer" and magnitudes different then "the old Trafalgar". Only same in name.

I wish you could visit the brewery some day to see for yourselves! It's been awhile since I've seen Cass or Greg.

Bottom line is in the beer, so I'll shut up now and let it do "the talking". Let me but together a snack pack for BT'ers to judge for yourselves. Just gimme the address! Or come by the brewery and see/taste for yourselves!!

'nuff said!!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

loudman wrote: Bottom line is in the beer, so I'll shut up now and let it do "the talking". Let me but together a snack pack for BT'ers to judge for yourselves. Just gimme the address! Or come by the brewery and see/taste for yourselves!!

'nuff said!!
good for you.
i'd be up for the challenge as long as you don't mind honest to goodness feedback.

(hell, i was defending Budweiser last week)

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

loudman wrote: Bottom line is in the beer, so I'll shut up now and let it do "the talking". Let me but together a snack pack for BT'ers to judge for yourselves. Just gimme the address! Or come by the brewery and see/taste for yourselves!!

'nuff said!!
good for you.
i'd be up for the challenge as long as you don't mind honest to goodness feedback.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

I don't want it to seem like I was shitting all over beers that I have never tried, because that is not something I make a habit of doing, regardless of who makes them.

I've had the ESB a few times over the years, though they seem to relabel it every 2 or 3 so I assume the recipe has been tweaked over time. It is drinkable and inoffensive. But like Derek said, the beers don't seem to hold up long-term very well at all, which is a problem when the LCBO can just let them collect dust on an unchilled shelf for 6 months. So even if I were really inclined to buy it occasionally (which I am not at $3.50 a pint), it would only be when fresh stock comes into the store. Sorry but I'd rather drink Wells Bombardier or Fuller's ESB, which are cheaper, anyway.

I tried the Chocolate Orange Porter when it came out late last year, and it tasted like an orange liqueur. It was flat like one, too. There's surely a market for beers like this, but I am not in that demographic.

I picked up a bottle of Mighty Oak yesterday just to say that I've tried it. I am willing to admit that it is one of the better Trafalgar products I've had over the years. My buddy homebrewed a stout with oak chips a few months ago and Mighty Oak kind of reminds me of it.

I do not consider myself a harsh grader at all. I like beer a lot, and I try - sometimes a little too - hard to like other peoples' beers. Going through my BA reviews, I've rated at least 15 beers and braggots from Trafalgar over the past 9 or 10 years. The only two beers that I gave grades >3.5 are Mighty Oak and that Irish Brown Ale - two fairly new labels, which might support the assertion that they are slowly improving.

That's a good starting point, but frankly I think it'll take more than a couple of decent brown ales to change most people's minds. Whether the brewery has changed for the better or not is sadly less important than the fact that they have a long-standing reputation of mediocrity that needs to be overcome before beer geeks are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt again.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

loudman wrote:
Belgian wrote:Thanks for the good notes. Jordan told me the other day, 'best newcomer'?

If you add up all the points based on medals (5 for gold, 3 for silver, 1 for bronze) Trafalgar wins with 3 gold and 3 silver at 24 points.
They had been in the competition previously. They are in no way a newcomer. They started the year Cobain topped himself. It's things like this that call the OBA's competence and credibility into question. They could have invented an award. They could have given "most improved" and no one would have batted an eye. "Best Newcomer" is ludicrous and if my 22 year old brewery won that I'd be as embarrassed as hell. I'd probably give the award back because there are actual newcomers that could have used the publicity.
saintjohnswort.ca

loudman

Post by loudman »

atomeyes wrote:
good for you.

I wouldn't expect anything less than honest feedback. Let me know where I can send the TNT Snack Pack too, which represents the new Trafalgar and Black Label line up. We're all fighting for the same thing, better craft brew. I'll let BT'ers be the judge. Talk is cheap.

loudman

Post by loudman »

Derek wrote:I think that strange thinness is just an infection that hasn't reached your flavour threshold yet.

They've always done some interesting stuff, and it's not bad when it's fresh from the brewery, but it ALWAYS goes downhill.

They're always making new things (or just relabelling), and I think there's a lot of people that just like to try new things...
There's been problems in the past.... but things are turning around for the better. When's the last time you sampled the product?

loudman

Post by loudman »

saints_gambit wrote: They had been in the competition previously. They are in no way a newcomer. They started the year Cobain topped himself. It's things like this that call the OBA's competence and credibility into question. They could have invented an award. They could have given "most improved" and no one would have batted an eye. "Best Newcomer" is ludicrous and if my 22 year old brewery won that I'd be as embarrassed as hell. I'd probably give the award back because there are actual newcomers that could have used the publicity.
Wellington came in second 2 points behind Trafalgar... and Nickelbrook 3rd, 1 point behind Wellington. Should there be no recognition for OBA 1st place wrt BJCP scoring? I was actually at the awards ceremony and Mike Arnold (original Trafalgar Owner) was practically fighting Roger against accepting the "newcomer" award. I've know Roger for many years, on the judging side and beyond. He always been the consummate professional and a leader in the industry. Sometimes leaders make the choices that aren't popular but are the "right" choice. This was no exception.

Anyways, try the Black Label series of Trafalgar and judge for yourself.