Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Left Field Resin Bag

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mgmoney

Left Field Resin Bag

Post by mgmoney »

Had this on tap at Barhop after having a Lake Effect. What can I say? This one just didn't measure up. I'm trying hard to like left field brewery and in truth I enjoy Eephus for what is, but I was underwhelmed by this and Grandstand wheat ale. Sunlight park was just an ok saison in my opinion too. Am I being too hard on this brewery?
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Not measuring up to fresh Lake Effect is something that you can say about every other IPA in the province, in fairness.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

I stopped by Left Field for the first time last week and picked up a bottle. I enjoyed it, thought it was a well balanced IPA, might not have the most flavour in the world but it was a nicely hoppy and drinkable beer.

What Craig said about comparing to Lake Effect is bang on. It doesn't stack up, but what does? (I'm partial to Roman Candle, myself)
Last edited by MeltedOzark on Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I don't have any particular qualms with the quality of the product LF put out. Everything tastes right, usually no flaws. I will say that I find most of the stuff they do to be pretty safe, which makes it less to my personal tastes, because I tend to go for bold stuff. I know that when they were putting their physical brewery together, they did say that one of the things they were looking forward to about having their own place was it would free them up to do more adventurous styles. A couple of weeks ago they released their first sour, which I can't evaluate since I haven't tried it, but it is a step in the direction of my tastes.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

Craig wrote:I don't have any particular qualms with the quality of the product LF put out. Everything tastes right, usually no flaws. I will say that I find most of the stuff they do to be pretty safe, which makes it less to my personal tastes, because I tend to go for bold stuff. I know that when they were putting their physical brewery together, they did say that one of the things they were looking forward to about having their own place was it would free them up to do more adventurous styles. A couple of weeks ago they released their first sour, which I can't evaluate since I haven't tried it, but it is a step in the direction of my tastes.
I also grabbed 2 bottles of that. It is also a pretty safe beer but is worth a shot. Not terribly sour and has some nice fruity notes. Only a touch of the hibiscus which I'm fine with since I'm not usually a fan of floral adjuncts.

Bricks and Mortar has been the best beer I've had of theirs. Very good roasty, strong coffee flavour.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

MeltedOzark wrote:
Bricks and Mortar has been the best beer I've had of theirs. Very good roasty, strong coffee flavour.

Agree wholeheartedly. The recent batch was better than the original in my opinion too.

I've liked a couple of the Prospect series beers too. It is a brewery whose beers I will usually give a try whenever I see something new, but not a brewery that would likely make my "top 5 locals" list.