Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Smoked Marzen @ Denison Brewery

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Manul

Post by Manul »

I recently dropped by Denison Brewery and was pleasantly surprised to find this new brew on tap. It's brewed in the Bavarian style and it successfully fits in the rauchbier family. It shows a nice smoked malt flavor enveloped by a slight bitterness. Good job.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Manul on 2001-10-23 12:48 ]</font>

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Manul,

Thanks for the tip. As a big rauchbier fan, I'll be down there right after work tomorrow to check this out! Hope they still have it, as I know some of their specialties vanish quite quickly.

Publican

Post by Publican »

I talklked to Denison brewer Micheal Hancock on the weekend and he said the smoked marzen would be on tap for a couple of weeks. It seems he recieved smoked malt by mistake from his malt supplier in Bamberg,Germany, the home of Rauchbier. Micheal said this is not as intense as the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier that has just been released by the LCBO. If I
like the smoked marzen, I might by brave enough to try the Rauchbier from Bamberg.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for the tip Manul!

It's great to see Denison's producing some interesting one-time beers, such as this one and the Raspberry Wheat in the summer. As much as I enjoy the brewpubs in TO, it's sad that they mostly stick to a standard set of beers. More experimentation would definitely be welcome.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

I had this today. The serving staff presented it like it was their regular Marzen, which it definitely is not. Neither myself, nor Beaumont nor Jackson used the word 'smoke' in our notes about the regular Marzen.

But this is definitely a rauchbier, even if some of them don't know well enough to admit it. It is less assertive than Schlenkerla, but still with a good burst of smoke and is quite a nice brew.

Maybe next time it won't be a mistake that they get some smoked malt. I've been waiting for a while to see them make a rauchbier, and I can only hope I don't have to wait too long to see a Rauchbock there.