Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nickel Brook - Immodest Imperial IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Hoppy's Tavern

Nickel Brook - Immodest Imperial IPA

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

Awesome IPA where the 85IBU does not present it self

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Hoppy's Tavern wrote:Awesome IPA where the 85IBU does not present it self

so i'm going to give you some quick advise, and please don't take it personally.

first, i actually enjoy some of your descriptors that you use. your passion's pretty great.
glad you chose a beer that is better than the Cobblestone Stout you chose to review.

some tips:
don't remark on a beer's head upon pouring. you're pouring it fast, so, duh, it's going to have a huge head. i care more about head retention 1-2 min after your pour. that's the sign of a properly made beer, not head upon pouring.
you then talked about it not being carbonated....after you complimented the head. so, it's carbonated, but you don't get the mouthfeel of carbonation.
you talk about the IBUs. IBUs are relevant, kind of sort of. you can have a beer that has high IBUs and taste smooth or beer that has lower IBUs that is dank and and lingeringly bitter. those are based on a few factors, like when the hops are added in the boil, the grist, the water's composition, the pH and, in some cases, how well/poorly a beer was sparged. the fact that Immodest is a IIPA and doesn't taste bitter (in your opinion) isn't exactly a plus.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

atomeyes wrote:

so i'm going to give you some quick advise, and please don't take it personally.

first, i actually enjoy some of your descriptors that you use. your passion's pretty great.
glad you chose a beer that is better than the Cobblestone Stout you chose to review.

some tips:
don't remark on a beer's head upon pouring. you're pouring it fast, so, duh, it's going to have a huge head. i care more about head retention 1-2 min after your pour. that's the sign of a properly made beer, not head upon pouring.
you then talked about it not being carbonated....after you complimented the head. so, it's carbonated, but you don't get the mouthfeel of carbonation.
you talk about the IBUs. IBUs are relevant, kind of sort of. you can have a beer that has high IBUs and taste smooth or beer that has lower IBUs that is dank and and lingeringly bitter. those are based on a few factors, like when the hops are added in the boil, the grist, the water's composition, the pH and, in some cases, how well/poorly a beer was sparged. the fact that Immodest is a IIPA and doesn't taste bitter (in your opinion) isn't exactly a plus.
Perception of bitterness is also largely dependent on the amount of malt to hops as well. You could have an 80 IBU beer that doesn't taste very bitter because it's maltier, or another 80 IBU beer that's far less malty and therefore has a much more pronounced bitterness. IBU is a strict measure of iso-alpha acids in the finished beer.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

seangm wrote:
atomeyes wrote:

some tips:
Perception of bitterness is also largely dependent on the amount of malt to hops as well. You could have an 80 IBU beer that doesn't taste very bitter because it's maltier, or another 80 IBU beer that's far less malty and therefore has a much more pronounced bitterness. IBU is a strict measure of iso-alpha acids in the finished beer.
TenFiddy's a good example. think their IBUs are around 100.

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

some tips:
Awesome feedback, I appreciate that.

I've always asked myself if I should talk about the head as I pour it or after a few minutes, now I know.
I''ve only been drinking craft beer for about 7-8 months and reviewing beer for 4-5 months, knowledge is limited but growing.
Feedback like that is great, leaves room for improvement

Thanks everyone