Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Fullers VINTAGE Ale * Series *

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Fullers VINTAGE Ale * Series *

Post by Belgian »

Here is a 2017!

Boxed serialized bottle from LC pours a deep dark orange-amber, clear with white head. Bready aromas and flavors are rounded and accompanied by a very fine citrusy and mint hop treatment. Certainly candy-orange, cherry alefruit, mineral, moderate body and well-hidden alcohol. Moderately powerful yet supple and easy. It would be interesting to age a few more.

Please feel free to add notes of others past & present.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

From about a week or so ago, so memory is a bit hazy:

Fullers vintage 2014-really nice beer,drank at room temperature. Smell is lots of vanilla-toffee-oak with a little bit of dried ginger and some typical English leafy hop qualities. Taste is lots of dried fruit,slick mouthfeel with a medium body. Allspice,white pepper,fudge, some slight citrus pith leading to a bit of bitterness on the finish. Quite a complex beer and really lovely, but maybe not one of the better Fullers vintages i've had.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

There’s very little I seek out in the LCBO nowadays, but I always make an effort to pick up Fullers Vintage Ale. My yearly routine is to pick up a few, try the latest vintage fresh and put 3 or 4 bottles in the cellar. I also always pull out a 5 or 6 year old bottle and a couple of other vintages in-between to see how they’ve changed. I normally drink them sometime in mid-to-late December, so they’ve become a bit of Christmas tradition. The good vintages become magnificent at 5 years (the 2010 for example), but they’re not all winners. I’d say most hit their peak around 3 years or so. While I think they taste a little samey fresh, their character really spaces out with a bit of age. Looking forward to the 2017.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

After reading comments on this thread, I decided to try a Fullers Vintage Ale myself (2017). I am impressed. The yeast strain has produced a lot of subtle estery complexity that I really appreciate. I've never understood the trend towards clean California ale yeasts that let the beer focus on hops. While hop complexity is definitely a good thing, I have always preferred ale yeast strains that are complex like English and Belgian yeast strains. Then again, I am a little odd-ball in that I've always firstly preferred UK hops to a close second trendy West Coast US hops. Now, I am waiting for someone to produce a double IPA with UK yeast and hops, so I can have the best of both worlds (hop and yeast complexity). Amsterdam came close, with their most recent incarnation of Life Sentence that use UK hops this time, but doesn't have the yeast by-products complexity of some of the UK strains like Fullers use.