Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brewer's Advent Calender 2017

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Brewer's Advent Calender 2017

Post by Belgian »

This is for tasting notes of the German brewery products featured in the 2017 selection. December 01-24, any notes you may have (on the prescribed day of course!)
In Beerum Veritas

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Just got told that I have received one as a gift. Looking forward to it and a great idea for a thread.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

There are two advent calendars this year. The first is the aforementioned German one available via the LCBO website. The second is a group custom order, like last year from Alberta with international beers. I ended up getting both, picking up the Alberta one from QQ this weekend. Came in 2 weeks earlier than last year, which is nice.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Still 465 of the LCBO advent calendars in stock with a little over a week till go day...

I'm a little surprised there wasn't more advertising by the LCBO for these in store. Like even a little sign at the cash stating the calendars availability. Quite a few people commented on mine as I was picking it up...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I understand this Co. offers this German Breweries pack 24, the 'Worldwide' Craft pack 24, and a more select (small-brewer) Bavarian Brewery 7-pack with a glass (which also sounds good.)

From the four beers I've tried (yes I cheated ahead) these ones so far to me seem OK and very drinkable but pretty light and broad-appeal, of course that said not expecting it to be Craft but still. Honestly looking at some of the brewery place names where I've been makes me nostalgic to think where I may have had these exact brews in my travels there even decades ago.

In any case the Calendar is fun & will hopefully yield a few cool and interesting new surprises.
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Masterplan wrote:I'm a little surprised there wasn't more advertising by the LCBO for these in store.
LCBO is only interested in co-op advertising (ie the producer/agent pays for the promotion) :wink:
@markhamwhisky

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Well, add me to the list of those receiving this advent calendar. It's my first year trying a beer advent of any sort, and I'm still fairly fresh off a vacation to Germany, so what better way to reminisce. In the photo I noticed a rauchbier that I'm certainly looking forward to, as the only German rauchbier I've had to date is Schlenkerla.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Day 1 - Schlossbrauerei Original Pils: simple generic German pilsner. Nothing offensive; light and refreshing but definitely not noteworthy.

Day 2 - Herrnbrau Zwickl: Unfiltered keller-style beer. Sweeter than I’d like; not for me but some may enjoy.

Day 3 - Hohenthanner Blau Weisse: Nice label and lovely looking beer. Not a style I drink so I enjoyed this just for it being different than my typical consumption however found it a bit overwhelming by the end.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Day 3 was the best one so far.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

@ Matt,

I think my Dec 1 and 3 were switched around but I may be wrong! Similar notes to yours. Many were fun to drink but very easy.

The Märzen for today (Dec 4) is Baldur from Wacken, and while it's not bad it's tame for the style - almost clear dark look, light and refreshing with hints of caramel and apple.
In Beerum Veritas

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Belgian wrote:@ Matt,

I think my Dec 1 and 3 were switched around but I may be wrong! Similar notes to yours. Many were fun to drink but very easy.

The Märzen for today (Dec 4) is Baldur from Wacken, and while it's not bad it's tame for the style - almost clear dark look, light and refreshing with hints of caramel and apple.
I definitely didn't get that beer this morning, mine might be switched around as well. Either that or I opened 14 instead of 4.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

I got the Hofbrau Original for today (4th).

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Napalm Frog wrote:I got the Hofbrau Original for today (4th).
Same here, Hofbrau today. My first 3 did line up with MatttthewGeorge though.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

seangm wrote:
Napalm Frog wrote:I got the Hofbrau Original for today (4th).
Same here, Hofbrau today. My first 3 did line up with MatttthewGeorge though.
My 4th is also Hofbrau.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Pretty sure I mixed up my notes & it was the Hofbraü.
In Beerum Veritas