Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brewer's Advent Calender 2017

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Day 5 Südenbock, was decent, although there hasn't been any real stellar offerings to date.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Masterplan wrote:Day 5 Südenbock, was decent, although there hasn't been any real stellar offerings to date.
Today's rauchbier looks very promising, if only because I love Schlenkerla. It'll be nice to try another German rauchbier, definitely not a style we see a lot of.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

seangm wrote:Today's rauchbier looks very promising, if only because I love Schlenkerla. It'll be nice to try another German rauchbier, definitely not a style we see a lot of.
I thought Zwönitzer paid solid tribute to real beechwood smoked malt German brewing and was certainly more accessible to the wonderful Heller Trum Schlenkerla Märzen we can get here. I was happy to try this one & would drink it again.

These 355 ml bottles seem to drink very quickly!
In Beerum Veritas

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Belgian wrote:
seangm wrote:Today's rauchbier looks very promising, if only because I love Schlenkerla. It'll be nice to try another German rauchbier, definitely not a style we see a lot of.
I thought Zwönitzer paid solid tribute to real beechwood smoked malt German brewing and was certainly more accessible to the wonderful Heller Trum Schlenkerla Märzen we can get here. I was happy to try this one & would drink it again.

These 355 ml bottles seem to drink very quickly!
I enjoyed it too. I agree it was certainly milder than Schlenkerla, but it would make a good gateway for those who are still unsure about smoked beers.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I generally dislike smoked beers but this one definitely paletable

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Is there a list of the beers in the Advent Calendar? I'm too lazy to transcribe from the case.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Today's beer is Ayinger's Celebrator doppelbock. Not much introduction needed here for what is probably the world's best doppelbock, and one of my all time favourite beers. Pretty stoked to come across this as I'd rate most of the beers about average thus far.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

seangm wrote:Today's beer is Ayinger's Celebrator doppelbock. Not much introduction needed here for what is probably the world's best doppelbock, and one of my all time favourite beers. Pretty stoked to come across this as I'd rate most of the beers about average thus far.
Yep, a nice surprise, and hopefully an indication that quality might improve as we get closer...

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Masterplan wrote:
seangm wrote:Today's beer is Ayinger's Celebrator doppelbock. Not much introduction needed here for what is probably the world's best doppelbock, and one of my all time favourite beers. Pretty stoked to come across this as I'd rate most of the beers about average thus far.
Yep, a nice surprise, and hopefully an indication that quality might improve as we get closer...
Considering the beers leading up to Celebrator, I was quite surprised too. Today's looks like another light lager type offering, but hopefully there are some more robust styles to come. Maybe an altbier or dunkel? Fingers crossed.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Another pils today, probably my favorite pils in the box so far. My thoughts so far, is this is a great pack to gift to a non craft beer drinker. All the beers have been fine, but nothing really outstanding, nor worth the price tag per bottle.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

This is accurate and it's the spirit of the thing, few of these beers are craft but i think many are a glimpse of regional beer drinking culture. We probably even pay more for it than the Americans pay at US Costco.

Pamphlet or website says the same company makes a smaller holiday craft beers of the world box, for more money. For this non-craft Advent calendar I believe they try to offer 24 new German beers each year, which to me is part of the value, coordinating all of those products. I'd do this again just because it's fun.

* Edit * might order the craft one next year, not sure. It's a pretty excellent idea despite the $4-6 dollar cost per brew. (Thanks Napalm Frog.)
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Masterplan wrote:Another pils today, probably my favorite pils in the box so far. My thoughts so far, is this is a great pack to gift to a non craft beer drinker. All the beers have been fine, but nothing really outstanding, nor worth the price tag per bottle.
I though today’s Pils was horrendous. Different strokes.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Did anybody else get the other advent calendar (custom order?) Although 50% pricier than the German one through the LCBO website, a lot more variation.
http://craftbeerimports.ca/beer-advent

So far:
Shipyard Brewing, Export Ale
Nogne O, Dubbel Advent
Saugatuck Brewing, Cocanuck Stout (really nice flavoured stout)
Brouwerij De Molen, Hel & Verdoemenis (roasty, chocolaty RIS)
Naparbier, Alein Klaw (Belgian IPA using some west coast American hops)
Belching Beaver, Beavers Milk Stout Nitro
Camba Bavaria, Grisette
Clown Shoes, Advent Party Crasher (this one messed with my head 'cause i sampled it before reading, like Terry's chocolate orange in beer form)
8 Wired Brewing, Palate Trip
Microbrasserie Le Grimoire, Shamans
Brouwerij De Molen, Dasher & Dancer
Nickel Brook Brewing, Half Bastard (unfortunately, the advent calendar batch was infected to sour hell, drain pour)
Duck-Rabbit, Wee Heavy Scotch Style Ale
White Pony Microbrewery, Dark Signs (Belgian with sweet, dried fruit flavour)
Crazy Mountain Brewing, Bridge Street Holiday Ale (weakest of the brews so far, watered down spiced winter ale)
Wold Top Brewery, Ditto

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Napalm Frog wrote:Did anybody else get the other advent calendar (custom order?) Although 50% pricier than the German one through the LCBO website, a lot more variation.
http://craftbeerimports.ca/beer-advent
I ended up with one a week into December. I say “ended up with one” because one was returned to my local lcbo due to the packaging being highly damaged. The store manager asked me if I wanted it, 25% off. Since I was late on the “advent” part, and with the packaging damaged, I just opened the entire thing.

Some very good beers in here, agreed. I’ll most likely be getting one of these next year instead of the German one.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

THAT's a calendar I'd go for. I wish I'd known.