Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Founders CBS

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Founders CBS

Post by beerstodiscover »

I don't usually drink coffee beer on a weeknight, but I made an exception.

Maybe this is the best maple beer I've had. Maybe it's the best coffee beer I've had. And maybe it's the best chocolate beer I've had. Maybe it's just really hitting the spot.
I'd say the bourbon was a little subdued the first few sips (mostly chocolate/maple/coffee), but it builds as you work through it. Still about 175ml left beside me.
Founders' ability to balance flavours is truly a work of art.
I grabbed 6 and will probably pick up a few more if I can.

Anyone with experience drinking the 2011 bottling, with some age on it, please reply.
Last edited by beerstodiscover on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Had the 2011 on tap, but not in bottles....but ya, it was the best bourbon-maple aged beer I've tried.
Any left at the LCBO you went to?? :D

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

I've never tried it, but worry that the maple flavouring won't be my thing. It sounds like the maple isn't too overpowering, so maybe I will snag a bottle to try. Just when I thought I'd finally be ready to sit out a special release and give my wallet a break...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

beerstodiscover wrote:Maybe this is the best maple beer I've had. Maybe it's the best coffee beer I've had.
Still about 175ml left beside me.
Founders' ability to balance flavours is truly a work of art.
That's it. Everything Founders does knits together so well. This kind of release is almost a gift even for the price (Backwoods Bastard too.)

Heck the American MSRP for Founders CBS is $25 (US) for a 750ml bottle, often at a one-per-person limit.

This new CBS: Really good, some big coffee contrasting with the sweeter flavor layers. Besides the coffee nothing sticks out too much, just enough chocolate and a suggestion of maple. Warming bourbon oak, echoes of chocolate. Not super heavy but plenty assertive in the malt profile, wow. Finish is not acrid at all but plenty dry from hops and roast and coffee.

* Edit * drinking more of the bottle, it's extremely pleasant how the little bit of maple trickles down the late finish of the beer, and how that maple compliments the candy-ish caramel corn-like qualities of the bourbon-oak.
In Beerum Veritas