Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Whitewater brewing - Class V IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Hoppy's Tavern

Whitewater brewing - Class V IPA

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

Whitewater brewing - Class V IPA review

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

I agree this is what the wife and I call a disappointing IPA. More a British style malty reddish ipa, than a hoppy American style. If it doesn’t have citra, mosaic or simcoe, don’t bother

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

GtownRandy wrote:...If it doesn’t have citra, mosaic or simcoe, don’t bother
:roll:
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

GtownRandy wrote:I agree this is what the wife and I call a disappointing IPA. More a British style malty reddish ipa, than a hoppy American style.
While I haven't had that one, an English style IPA is quite nice if you don't want a bitter hop bomb.
If it doesn’t have citra, mosaic or simcoe, don’t bother
Lots of nice hops out there that work well in IPAs. English or North American. 8)
lister

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

This doesnt fall short of an IPA as you state...it’s just different than what you’ve tried probably more in line with West Coast IPAs or New England style. classic English IPAs are still IPAs by style...just this style isn’t our preferred within the large style spectrum
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

GtownRandy wrote:I agree this is what the wife and I call a disappointing IPA. More a British style malty reddish ipa, than a hoppy American style. If it doesn’t have citra, mosaic or simcoe, don’t bother
I've been trying to figure out if you meant this seriously, or were poking fun somewhere. Regardless, I confess I haven't paid much attention to which hops are used in my favourite IPAs. But with this post in mind, I checked the can of a Ransack the Universe. I love this beer. It has Galaxy and Mosaic. So jest or serious, I guess it passes for you?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
GtownRandy wrote:I agree this is what the wife and I call a disappointing IPA. More a British style malty reddish ipa, than a hoppy American style. If it doesn’t have citra, mosaic or simcoe, don’t bother
I've been trying to figure out if you meant this seriously, or were poking fun somewhere. Regardless, I confess I haven't paid much attention to which hops are used in my favourite IPAs. But with this post in mind, I checked the can of a Ransack the Universe. I love this beer. It has Galaxy and Mosaic. So jest or serious, I guess it passes for you?

American vs British IPA is like apples and oranges......or like neipa and wcipa. Really tough to compare, but honestly, you can't dismiss an entire sub style because there's no North American hops in there. Tell me some of the IPA from, say, Worthington,buxton,Tempest ,moor,northern monk etc. Aren't really really nice?
Absolutely, if you go in expecting a North American style IPA and it's more British, it may be a bit of a surprise.....but does that make it bad?? There's something to be said for subtlety, and in North America it's not always appreciated. Not just with IPA, but with pilsners/lagers/pale ale/porters etc.
In all honesty, I've never had this beer so I have no idea, just throwing my two cents in.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

sofakingdrunk wrote:American vs British IPA is like apples and oranges
Yes indeed.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
Yes i was being slightly facetious, and wasnt poking fun at current beer trends, but my wife and i definitely like the tropical, fruity type hops found in North American style IPA's. my wife actually realized that all the ones she really likes usually have citra or mosaic. i agree there are some great English IPA's, but our taste is the hazy, fruity IPA's.

I do however find it disappointing though when Canadian IPA's are not hoppy or fruity at all, like Waterloo IPA for example, or when the beer is not to style, such as a recent Nita 3rd Birthday NEIPA which was bitter and transparent instead of soft and hazy and fruity.