Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Von Bugle Munich Lager

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Von Bugle Munich Lager

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Found it at King Taps, the beer bar built into First Canadian Place on King Street. In business about a year, it's part of the cluster of new-generation beer bars in the area, of which Craft down the street is one. The Walrus Beer Hall is another, down Bay at Wellington.

All three places are first-rate, the beerbistro of today in my estimation, even as beerbistro is still a great beer destination. Room for more entrants as the beer scene grows and deepens.

I had high hopes for the beer. I'm sure its palate was carefully calibrated by the team in Etobicoke* and more power to them if it reaches the target demographic(s), but I found it quite light. The flavours are actually excellent but I had to tease them out through the chill and carbonation. Warmed, the beer tasted better but to my mind it should taste great cold too.

Its got a sweetish, nutty malt taste and fine German and Czech hopping, the tingly bitter finish is the strong point but I'd prefer a malt profile with more oomph - same taste profile, just more intense.

Anyway, I wish them well, great to see Steamwhistle move in a different direction via this affiliated brewery in Etobicoke. And presumably in time other beers will issue from the new brewery.

Gary

*An earlier version of this post stated Mississauga, which is not correct. Thanks to S. St. Jeb for the correction, see below.
Last edited by G.M. Gillman on Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Gary Gillman

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Actually 249 Evans Avenue in Etobicoke , not Mississauga.

http://www.bartowel.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=10922

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Yes, thanks for correction. This is the website by the way: www.vonbugle.ca

Gary
Gary Gillman

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

It's currently on tap at Betty's.
lister

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

It reminded me of an early Ontario craft beer but I couldn't place it exactly. Later, I remembered, Algonquin, the special ale or dark ale - which I always liked but had the same reaction to as here: more taste needed.

I think they'd have great beer if they ramped up the profile.

Gary
Gary Gillman