Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

the bad and the ugly - my reviews from the spring LCBO

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wheatsheaf wrote:
borderline_alcoholic wrote:What was their Belgian ale selection like before?
From Belgium it wasn't uncommon to see special releases and gift packs include beers like Rochefort, Orval, Binchoise, St. Bernardus, Silly, Achouffe, Rodenbach Alexander, Boon, Dubuisson, Van Eecke, Dupont, Liefmans....
Maredsous, Westmalle... I would even settle for some BelleVue Geuze, which I used to squirrel away by the case.

E-mailing the LCBO doesn't seem to grab their interest. I can't understand how they presume to be so profitable and yet disregard the demand for Belgian products. They over-represent other countries, probably for sheer profits. $12 six-pack of Corona anyone? It's anti-cultural for a Provincial institution to do this.
In Beerum Veritas

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

Belgian wrote:I can't understand how they presume to be so profitable and yet disregard the demand for Belgian products.
Where else are you going to shop?

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

nougat, I suggest you stay away from UK brews cause you got some serious palate and ofactory problems...tasted both of the brews you did and they both were quite good and especially loved the Lightning....as for petrol, when you get home from your job checking the tank levels at the Sunoco, wash your hands and change your shirt...that should do the trick.

borderline_alcoholic

What exactly is it with this strange belief that a poor grasp of beer is somehow tied to low end employment? I have seen similar comments from several bartowelers, "shite for the masses and quality for the classes" etc etc etc.

In case it has escaped any of your attention, Ontario is full of cheerfully wealthy fruitloops who live under the bizarre delusion that Stella Artois is the epitome of great beer.

Anyway, I had better get back to my petrol pump before anyone notices I am gone.

nuggett

Post by nuggett »

Rabbit,

I won't get into an battle of wits with you regardng your obvious penchant for insulting one's class. I will say however, that I still stand by my initial review of this "great beer". This is my opinion, which I have left on a forum of beer reviews.

Perhaps if you can afford it, we should head to smokeless for a sampling of all their finest ales to see if my ofactory impairment is a direct result of my glycotic enzymes inhibiting my GLUT 4 transporters.

I'll buy.

But like they say,

Arguing on the internet is like winning a gold medal in the Special Olympics.

You may win, but your still retarded.

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Nugent,

It wouldn't be a battle of wits as your half barely counts..."afford it", I could buy and sell you several times a day with the spare change in my pocket...if we meet at smokeless it won't be to drink beer but rather to battle to the death...my brother's retarded so I don't take kindly to your comments...at least your half-wit affords you a partial defence so I can feel at least somewhat comfortable sparring with you but to attack the retarded, my, my...you probably kick puppies as well...

OK, now that I've got that out of my system, you're right in that you can post your opinions about a beer on this site but I reserve the right to tell you that you have no taste buds when you're out to lunch...freedom of speech...what a wonderful thing...OK, a car's just pulled into the station so I have to grab my squeegee and go...later.

burgermeister

Post by burgermeister »

rabbit wrote: It wouldn't be a battle of wits as your half barely counts....
I just don't get some people's idea of entertainment but if this is the kind of sillyness that floats yer boat, maybe Cass can set up a tread reserved for mindless stupidity. Now I've got to pop open a bottle of Black Oak Saisson which I imagine will be infinately more entertaining than this drivel.

Enjoy!!

borderline_alcoholic

rabbit wrote:but to attack the retarded, my, my...you probably kick puppies as well...
On this I am in total agreement with Rabbit. This bullshit use of a term for the mentally impaired as a general insult is one of the most hideous digraces that I see in Canada. It is totally disgusting and does this culture no favours whatsoever.

How commonplace it is is something which I find totally repugnant. To use an anglicism, it is "bang out of order".

However, that aside, anyone is entirely open to enjoy or dislike whatever beers their tastebuds happen to agree or disagree with - and I am happy to accept that people's tastes differ to my own.

In the case of Nuggett, he is obviously far happier with the better Belgian ales, than the more bitter English examples. Does that make him wrong? I think not. It simply means that he prefers a different style of ale.

I personally tend to prefer Belgian and English style ales to their Bavarian counterparts. While I do appreciate a good Bavarian style beer (and indeed would contend that Denison's Weissbier is the best beer currently brewed within Ontario - and possibly within Canada - by a very wide margin) it is never going to go down as well with me as an equally excellent beer from one of the other Countries' styles. So f*cking what?

And I would also point out that I am English. If I can cope happily with someone preferring Belgian (and/or Bavarian) beers over the (generally agreed) better ones from my own Country, then so can you without resorting to such childish drivel and then responding when the childish drivel you get in return happens to offend you.

Have a nice day.

nuggett

Post by nuggett »

I digress.

I also apologize for my comments.

Even though the phrase was used with tongue firmly planted in cheek; the word in question - in this (or any) regard - is obviously unacceptable.

I'll even go as far to apologize to Rabbit, who obviously fired the first salvo my way. Your taste in beer obviously differs to mine. I will pay extra attention to your reviews in the future.

borderline_alcoholic

Oh and incidentally, with regard to the argument over who can afford what and testing each others' abilities to appreciate different styles of beer, if anyone would care to pay for an evening of my drinking it would be greatly appreciated - the petrol pumps only pay for so much, you know.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you are interested in funding my habits...

All donations will be gratefully appreciated.

I wonder how I should go about setting myself up as a registered charity...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

rabbit wrote:Nugent,

It wouldn't be a battle of wits as your half barely counts..."afford it", I could buy and sell you several times a day with the spare change in my pocket...if we meet at smokeless it won't be to drink beer but rather to battle to the death...my brother's retarded so I don't take kindly to your comments...at least your half-wit affords you a partial defence so I can feel at least somewhat comfortable sparring with you but to attack the retarded, my, my...you probably kick puppies as well...

OK, now that I've got that out of my system, you're right in that you can post your opinions about a beer on this site but I reserve the right to tell you that you have no taste buds when you're out to lunch...freedom of speech...what a wonderful thing...OK, a car's just pulled into the station so I have to grab my squeegee and go...later.
Hmm... very sorry about your brother, but I don't think that misuse of the word "retarded" is some bizarre PC grounds to murder someone, so I hope your sentiment is facetious and not truly insane. Especially since Smokeless Joes is such a nice hangout, and we can't have any real violence going on in there as it would spoil the vibe.

Here's to drinking away such petty differences instead of getting our shorts in a twist typing away silly diatribes towards people we've never met. What do you say? Are we grown men here or what?
In Beerum Veritas

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Back to the Thread topic for a moment...

Mmm... I just cracked open my St. Peter's SUMMER ALE and Yumm... I poured it a bit high to get some head, big bubbles - looks like a pint from the Granite. Nice aroma, very bitter, quite hoppy, and the bitterness fades into a nice smoky flavour, perhaps it's that smoky flavor that reminded someone of Gasoline?, for me, I've just recently had the 1900 at the Beer Festival, then that Smoked Marzen (can't remember the specific brand) that the LCBO has right now - and it was really nice BTW... - So perhaps I'm a little more attuned to it at the moment. Anyhow, very nice beer, I'm a fan...

Oh and by the way, a few other little comments:

1) It's Internet, with a capital 'I' - when referring to The Internet, as opposed to some other worldwide interconnected network... it's a Proper noun...

2) It's not "your still retarded", it's "you're still retarded" - Get it right, what are you, uh, mentally challenged?? :wink: