Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Black Oak Summer Saison to Re-emerge soon

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Black Oak Summer Saison to Re-emerge soon

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

We've gone back in history and resurrected our Summer Saison.
Matthew our brewmaster spend many a feverish moment devising, updating and tweaking this beer. All of us did the summer saison dance in the brewery while it was fermenting. Most of us have been tasting it as it has been progressing.
Now for some less silly detail. The recipe is based on authentic Belgain Saisons. We ordered the belgian yeast from White Labs (oh my aching credit card!!) and got in some specialty malt, using prarie pale, malted wheat , caramel & munich malts. In addition Orange peel was added to the kettle during the boil.
It does taste good out of the fermenter. 8)
We'll be doing a few more small batches throughout the summer offering the saison until september after which we should be rolling out our Oaktoberfest.
The saison will be available at some of the better micro friendly pubs & restaurants. Bottles will be available from my retail store.
We do have some bottle winter ale available (sorry i'm just not good yet with this seasonal thing :oops: )
We have to package some Pale Ale this week and then next week we should be moving the saison out.
There is the possiblity that we may use the belgian yeast for a small batch of something very special that we may cellar until february. The only clue i'll give you is to double down on this bet. (I just hope we have enough malt!!)
Cheers
Ken

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Please let us know when the bottles are ready! I'd like to come by the store and get some.

scott

Post by scott »

Me too. I'll be passing by this weekend. I wasn't certain from your message whether you might have some bottled by then - any possibility?

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

¡Yo también!
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Lots of thanks to Ken as I was able to get a keg of the new Summer Saison for my long weekend and the cottage. Very nice brew.

Thanks again Ken!

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Hi Everyone
We've now got our summer saison available in our retail store and will be moving it out into pubs this week.
C'est What has a keg, Cafe Volo will be getting a 30 on Wednesday. & I'll be working on a few more places.
It's tasty.
Cheers
Ken

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I had a pint of the Saison at C'est What tonight, and it gets a big thumbs up. Very nice stuff! I hope to enjoy more of it this summer.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Tried the Saison yesterday and it was excellent. Great effervescence, a beautiful estery/yeasty character finishing with a dash of orange zest. A great effort from a first rate brewery.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Had a pint at C'est What today. Fantastic. I may have to make the trek out to pick up some bottles. Well done Ken to you and your crew!

Immotius

Post by Immotius »

Is this stuff going to be available in the LCBO at all? I'd love to be able to order to the store near me.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Immotius wrote:Is this stuff going to be available in the LCBO at all? I'd love to be able to order to the store near me.
Nope. The Black Oak seasonals are only available in bottles at the brewery store, or on tap at selected locations. Although if you live close by one of their delivery routes, Ken can sometimes do a personal drop-off.

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

I'm usually wary of summer beers because I suspect they're like summer movies -- all fizz and no taste. But I dropped into C'Est What yesterday after my dentist's appointment (clever, having a dentist right across the street) for a general anaesthetic, and got my first try at the Summer Saison. Terrific beer, Ken! In case my taste buds had taken a hammering in the chair, I had a second pint to be sure -- probably the first time I've ever had the same beer twice in a row at C'Est What. Fine stuff. (I then went up to beerbistro and stumbled into a Pilsner Urquell tasting and found myself in conversation with a young man named Homolka -- no relation, apparently -- who makes the beer. Good event, Stephen, though I never did get to say hello to you.)

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Had this on tap all summer at the Judge and recently bought some last of the bottles....a great brew that should be an annual seasonal......same for the nutcracker.
Aventinus rules!