Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

dogfish/rogue

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

dogfish/rogue

Post by esprit »

Geoffrey and I got to try a lot of these for the first time in Denver a few weeks ago and I did as well during my visiit to Rogue 3 weeks ago...we're looking forward to everyone's reaction to any of these that you haven't tasted before so post those reviews!

Images

Post by Images »

I was at Joe's last night, and he had 4 different ones available (just got them in that day).

- Shelter Pale Ale
- 60 Minute IPA
- 90 minute IPA
- some 4th one (I forget which one - Russian Imperial was mentioned elsewhere here..?)

The shelter is the only one that I tasted, hopefully the others will still be there next time I come around. :)

Although I wasn't expecting to do a review of it, I will say that it was fairly balanced (hops/malt), and very drinkable. Ie: Multiple bottles were consumed. Hope it lasts for a while!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

esprit wrote:Geoffrey and I got to try a lot of these for the first time in Denver a few weeks ago and I did as well during my visiit to Rogue 3 weeks ago...we're looking forward to everyone's reaction to any of these that you haven't tasted before so post those reviews!
When can we expect to see them in LCBOs?

Do Rogue and DFH have the capacity to supply exports to say a couple of provinces?
Aventinus rules!

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Yes, in fact, Rogue is regularly available in B.C. and we just shipped our first Private Order to Quebec. Both breweries are in the process of expanding capacity.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Got to try a few of these while in Toronto for the weekend. The DFH 90 Minute was my beer of the trip. I thought the relative "balance" of this compared to Three Floyd's Dreadnaught, which I got to sample a few weeks ago, made it a much nicer and more drinkable beer. Both very bitter, but the malts of the 90 minute seemed to blend much better with the big hop finish.

Also had Rogue Imperial Stout, Old Crusty 97 and 04, and Hazelnut Brown. The Imperial and 97 Old Crusty were both very good, the 04 Old Crusty was good but could probably use a few more years of aging, and the Hazelnut was good but was missing something.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I have been pleased with these ones so far as well.
Had the Shelter and 90 Minute at Joe's. The shelter pale ale was nice, a bit mainstream compared to the other DFH offerings. I remembered the 90 Min being more bitter... guess its to each his own on whether or not thats good or bad?

The 97 Crusty at BeerBistro was excellent. I concur with Bobby that the 2004 needs some time to become a little less crotchety and surly. I have a Mocha Porter in the fridge for consumption later this afternoon. Mmmm Yumm!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

hope you missed the storm, bobby

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I've been slowly knocking off the 90 minute stock at S.J.'s. Had another two last night while a friend tried the 60 and the shelter (which I sipped). Both are very good but the 90 minute I adore. Great Imperial IPA with a beautiful balance between the hops and the malt. My only concern is that Joe's are serving it too cold. A beer like that should really be had at cellar temp not fridge temp.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

I was away on vacation in Florida, popped by World of Beer over in Clearwater/St. Pete's, they have a great selection of bottles, grabbed some DFH 60, 90 & 120 minute IPA. I've only tried the 60 minute so far, and it was AWESOME, wishing I'd bought more!!! I bought a few other interesting brews I hadn't seen before, I'll post reviews on them as I try them...

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Shared a 90 Minute with some friends on the weekend, what an AWESOME Hoppy Ale, Any chance the LCBO might pick this for a seasonal release??

I still have a bottle of the 120 Minute in the fridge waiting for the right evening to give it a go...

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We've never pitched it but they have agreed to buy the Chicory Stout for Winter 2005 (November).

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

they have agreed to buy the Chicory Stout for Winter 2005 (November).

Rogue chickory stout....must have....can't wait a whole year.
Aventinus rules!

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

pootz wrote:Rogue chickory stout...
Chicory Stout is brewed by Dogfish Head, not Rogue.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Chicory Stout is brewed by Dogfish Head, not Rogue.
Oh too bad....Rogue has their process together, I would have liked to see them tackle this kind of coffee-like stout. Dogfish head beers I have had are known to vary widely and both had a touch of buttery diacetyl…I can wait for their next offering.
Aventinus rules!