Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sleeman Fine Porter

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

I've followed most threads on Bartowel for a while now, however this is my first post. Greetings to all.

I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised to see the Sleeman Porter at the LCBO on Friday. I've had 2 of them so far and found them pretty good. I've been drinking a lot of the St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout, Rogue Chocoloate Stout, Mill St. Coffee Porter, Fullers Porter etc, lately and while the Sleeman effort may not be a class defining beer, it is a bold departure from the rest of their lineup. I think the fact that Sleeman even decided to make a Porter, regardless of its quality, is a step in the right direction for beer lovers.

Might Sleeman have been influenced by their purchase of Unibroue and their ability to produce and sell "unique" beer?
Lagerale

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Sampled the Sleeman Fine Porter yesterday. It could have had more body and bolder flavour, but otherwise its a good attempt at an old style brown porter. The colour is light, but would be in keeping for this style. There is little roast on the palate, but again, that is right for this type of porter. Overall an encouraging effort. Hats off to the folks at Sleeman for even attempting this.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Thanks to tupalev for passing a couple of bottles of the Sleeman Porter on to me last night. I've having one right now, and it's not that bad at all. I agree with Perry that the body is a little lighter than it could be, but otherwise, it's a generally successful attempt at brewing a mellow old-style porter.

It's no Entire Butt, but it isn't half-assed either. :lol:

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

It's no Entire Butt, but it isn't half-assed either
I like it...grown quite used to it now , I drink it regularly with a meal or on it's own...it is quite drinkable as opposed to the heavier bodied porters. It really does replecate the old style pub porters quite well....on my second dozen now :wink:
Aventinus rules!

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Finally got around to posting a review of the Porter at World of Beer, and I must say that I was pretty pleased with it overall. Light, as Perry so rightly pointed out, but also very much in style. http://worldofbeer.com/ktt/

WildRover

Post by WildRover »

I picked up a 6 of the stuff a while ago and actually thought it was alright.
It did come across as a bit of a near-stout, but over-all, I've had worse.

It's worth a try but I wouldn't make it my regular beer (even if it was sticking around)
Take a walk on the Wild Side...

For a list of upcoming events and our services, visit us online at www.WildRover.ca!

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

All I can say is "Me too!", I tried the Porter over the holidays at a friend's place. Very drinkable, very nice, and it almost pains me to say that about Sleemans, so good for them for brewing something decent!

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Argh... I haven't tried it yet, but I did get to try Sleeman Clear at my brother-in-law's place. OMG it was awful. Even worse than I had imagined.