Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Rodenbach Grand Cru

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

I would take a few cases of the Aged Pale Ale myself.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Hell again,
So to follow up, the Rodenbach did suffer the same fate as the Rochefort 10. I had to leave for 10 minutes, and when I returned the sour vinegar smell overwhelmed me as I approached the glass, and I couldn't bare to take another 3 sips (only 2).
So whatever, who cares really? I found a beer I did not like or appreciate. I still have another bottle, and it could be that "I" was off that day.
As for Petrus Old Bruin, I have had that and it was enjoyable, I would have it again.
I always enjoy the banter that goes on here, and I always have to laugh at how people assume someone is "inexperienced" with beer. Nonetheless, after living and working in Belgium (ahh, that was the good life), and other European countries I think 2 beers out of countless is still pretty good......afterall who likes every beer out there, whether it is top-rated by the "beer geek masses" or not?
Cheers!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:
Belgian wrote: I doubt Roddy will sell that well so all interested may like to stockpile it before it delists.
Rodenbach isn't a general list item at the LCBO, it part of the limited winter release. So it will "delist" by default when it runs out.
I meant to say that it just sits there on the shelf in many stores, so good luck seeing it here ever again in the "winter warmer" program.
In Beerum Veritas

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

I grabbed a few bottles down at the Queens Quay LCBO, I seemed to remember it referred to on the board. I thought it was really neat, the first truly unique beer I've had in ages, where I couldn't really say I'd had anything like it before, nor even be able to categorize it. Definitely had a tart/sour flavor, and very fruity tasting, yes, almost like a wine or cider.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Bump. Just couldn't let this thread die yet. Besides, it's been quiet around here today.

Joe.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

OK Joe ..here goes for today's random banter....I tried a gran cru kast night paired with some morbier cheese, cold smoked BC salmon and thin sliced westphalia ham....talk about flavor compliments and the Rodenbach tartness set them off. I have about 6 in the cellar now and I consider this a great beer to serve with specialty foods.....will stand in anywhere a dry fruity red wine would.
Aventinus rules!

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

(Sorry -- but I have been tempted to weigh in on the-string-that-never-dies for while.)
pootz wrote:OK Joe ..here goes for today's random banter....I tried a gran cru kast night paired with some morbier cheese, cold smoked BC salmon and thin sliced westphalia ham....talk about flavor compliments and the Rodenbach tartness set them off. I have about 6 in the cellar now and I consider this a great beer to serve with specialty foods.....will stand in anywhere a dry fruity red wine would.
I understand that food is key with this style of beer -- that a properly matched dish will offer you an entré to the flavour. My Belgian buddy (the beer lover and amateur gourmand) and I went to the Queens Quay LCBO on Sunday and scored a bunch of Rodenbach GC. (BTW there were still cases of it left.) When I spoke to him on Monday he had consumed his RGC with shrimps pan-fried in black pepper and garlic. He said (and take this hearsay for what it's worth) that RGC is ideally consumed with "North Sea Grey Prawns", but as we are a long way from the North Sea, any kind of seafood would do.

pootz's pairing of fine ham and cheese with his drink also sounds like a nice match. In Brussels last year we ate cubes of farmers cheese with our glasses of "jeune", the sour "green" beer which is normally blended into gueuze. Lovely.

I found the true lambic we had at la Bécasse and the Cantillon even more challenging.

I have 750 ml of RGC from Belgium in the basement waiting for the right occassion and the right food pairing.

Bon Appétit!

Regards,

Uncle Bobby
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

I've been holding off having one of my two bottles (thanks Radek!) but I finally popped one last night. Anybody who bought a bunch and is having trouble getting through them, feel free to send them my way! It was actually a bit more restrained than I remember my first couple of samples being, but still excellent. A couple years ago RGC was the first Flemish Sour that I had ever tried. Since then I've had Goudenband and Duchesse du Bourgogne and enjoyed them, but didn't think they measured up to RGC. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but trying the RGC again last night not only made me think it is as fantastic as I remember, but elevated my appreciation of the style itself, and makes me want to revisit the others. And makes me even more glad I special ordered some Roeselare Yeast (supposedly Rodenbach's yeast, but I've also heard it might be De Dolle)to make a homebrewed Flemish Red. Now if only I could find time to brew...

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Bobbyok wrote:And makes me even more glad I special ordered some Roeselare Yeast (supposedly Rodenbach's yeast, but I've also heard it might be De Dolle)to make a homebrewed Flemish Red. Now if only I could find time to brew...
Until they abruptly stopped doing so after being bought by Palm (causing many problems as a result, and at least one brewery closure), Rodenbach used to supply yeast to several Belgian breweries, including De Dolle and De Ranke. So Rodenbach yeast = old Oerbier yeast = old XX Bitter yeast (well, more or less, probably). If you're interested, keep an eye out for "Wild Brews" by Jeff Sparrow, covering Flemish reds and browns, and lambics (brewing, history, etc). It's due out in the spring or summer, and will hopefully be as good as the first book in the series, Phil Markowski's "Farmhouse Ales" (which is excellent).

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Over the last decade I’ve certainly warmed up to the tart brews? I’m curious if anyone else’s palate has changed...

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Seems to me that these types of beers are an squired taste, like say, Scotch or cigars. I doubt many people enjoy them right away. I know I certainly didn't, but love a good sour now. Really interesting reading some of the comments on the first couple pages of this thread.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I’ve fallen in love with some Brett (C/L), and really love a good Gueuze, but I find this one a bit sweet... yet a bit thin at the same time. Even at $4.49 in BC it’s a pretty good price point for some funk.