Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Rodenbach Grand Cru

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

Jon Walker wrote: Wow! It's your opinion these two beers are two of the most wonderful in the world. In the case of the Rochefort I would agree (IMO) and Ratebeer would seem to back you up (it's #5 in the top 50).

Jon Walker wrote: But the Rodenbach, as this entire thread speaks to, is much more a topic of debate. I hope you don't mean to imply that liking the Rodenbach means having a trained palate versus not liking it meaning we don't. That would be arrogant and more than a little condescending...IMO
If you check on your celebrated website, you should see that the Grand Cru stands as the example of choice in it's style (by merit of higher ratings). As for my opinion, I stand by it by my resolve alone, although you can find such esteemed beer experts as Michael Jackson who agree with me on this matter.

As for the debate in this thread: it is a debate by mostly beer virgins with regards to the big red flemish (sour) ales. It's not our fault: the beer hasn't set foot in Ontario in about 5 years. As I have mentionned elsewhere in the thread, it is customary to need a couple of full samples before you start to enjoy it - it's just part of the process. Naturally, I am not surprised that many first time drinkers found it objectionable. You would not expect to see this debated in an area where the beer has already been established.

There are several other flavours that I have educated my palate to over the years and yes I do beleive this to be a worthwhile endoevor. For example, I disliked coriander but love it now. As a child I hated tomatoes, but love them now; there are countless examples like this that I can state from my own experiences (not to mention the sour ales) and that you can probably come up with also. So why the hell should it offend you or surprise you that the taste for this much sourness in a beer can be acquired (and thus requires a little palate education)?

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

dhurtubise wrote:So why the hell should it offend you or surprise you that the taste for this much sourness in a beer can be acquired (and thus requires a little palate education)?
It neither offends or surprises me that one can aquire a taste for just about anything. What is objectionable is your inference that anyone who doesn't like the beer, even after repeated attempts, just isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate the apparent magnificence of the stuff the way you and M.J. do. I guess Peter at Esprit needs to keep knocking out his tastebuds every year to reconfirm that he still finds the stuff less that spectacular while you shake your head and tut aloud at his naivete? I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds that kind of snobbery almost as unpalatable as I find the Grand Cru.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Once again, dhurtubise, you're coming off as pretty arrogant, and not for the first time in this thread in my opinion, which is what Jon seems to be reacting to as well.

I still do not understand why you can't seem to accept the fact that this is simply one of those split opinion, "Oh my God, this is the greatest beer ever made" "Oh my God, get this stuff out of my mouth" beers. The discussion in this never ending thread should prove that, even if it is by lowly sour virgins.

Never ending thread. That would make a kick ass movie title. I'm humming the title song right now.......

Jeff

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

tupalev wrote:Once again, dhurtubise, you're coming off as pretty arrogant, and not for the first time in this thread in my opinion, which is what Jon seems to be reacting to as well.
Jeff
I find a lot of what D says makes sense, even if he pulls no punches.

But I don't seek approval of fellow beer geeks either - we are, by definition, opinionated (and often sauced.) Why not let it bounce, you can't change people or make them post what you'd like.

Only business folks like Peter have to be hyper-considerate, the rest of you can talk like drunk old pub hounds for all I care. And Peter, do try and age that ORVAL at least one year if you have not. I can't stand that stuff 'raw.'

By the way, I tried RGC agan the other night, - aroma like a biscuit that had been vomited by a yak. I'm afraid of the case I bought now. So it all depends on your total state. It's all fun, right? Cheers!
In Beerum Veritas

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I'm trying to get in touch with dhurtubuise but no voicemail on his phone, e-mails bouncing back and no answer to private messages...are you out there Daniel as I have your St. Bernardus beers ready to go but need to hear from you.

Peter
esprit@primus.ca

Rubaiyat

Post by Rubaiyat »

Just to make absolutely sure this post breaks all records (for length ...), have any of you roddyites given the Petrus Oud Bruin a whirl .. ??

Cheers,

Paul

Manul

Post by Manul »

I liked Petrus better in terms of its restrained tartness but I think Rodenbach 's got much more complexity if you get over the sourness.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I haven't picked up any of the single bottles yet, but the Bruin was my favourite from the Petrus gift pack in years past.

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

It is a very good beer. I am very pleased that it is on the general list. It has enough acidity to find interest, some good malt notes and a very light vinous quality. It is already a regular resident in my beer fridge. Plus the 250ml bottles will be great for bottling barleywine :)

The petrus Oud Bruin will be a particularly refreshing offering over the hot summer days.

Any chance we will ever see the Petrus Aged Pale Ale make it's way down here?

Rubaiyat

Post by Rubaiyat »

We may get some Petrus Aged Pale Ale in on consignment ... yet TBD.

(There is, by the way, a little APA in the Old Brown ... :roll:).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Rubaiyat wrote:We may get some Petrus Aged Pale Ale in on consignment ... yet TBD.

(There is, by the way, a little APA in the Old Brown ... :roll:).
(What is APA? Arsenic?)

Yes, I bought armloads of it when I saw it this year. Fine beer. Roddy is overpowering, this is more easy going. It has some fine subtleties in the dance of flavors. You can't compare them I think. It's like comparing a minerally Medoc to a happy little Chiroubles 'cos they're both reds.

I laud the LCBO for these purchases... they do some things right it seems. I doubt Roddy will sell that well so all interested may like to stockpile it before it delists.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Belgian wrote: (What is APA? Arsenic?)
I assume APA = Aged Pale Ale.

scott

Post by scott »

Yes, I too find the Old Bruin more accessible and enjoyable (to an unreformed Best Bitter-lover's palate) than the Roddy. Lovely balance of flavours.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Like the regular Rodenbach, Petrus Oud Bruin is a blend of young and old beer--about two-thirds young beer, and one-third old beer that's been matured in oak barrels. For the United States, some of the old beer is bottled straight--like Rodenbach Grand Cru--and sold as Petrus Aged Pale. Compared to the blended beer, it's significantly more tart, acidic and woody (read: better :wink: ). From what I've heard, this product is unavailable in Belgium and the brewery is even reluctant to promote its existence, so I would be very happy if it ever makes it to Ontario (a case or two for me, please).

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Belgian wrote: I doubt Roddy will sell that well so all interested may like to stockpile it before it delists.
Rodenbach isn't a general list item at the LCBO, it part of the limited winter release. So it will "delist" by default when it runs out.
Last edited by GregClow on Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.