Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bruegel Amber Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

old faithful
Bar Fly

Bruegel Amber Ale

Post by old faithful »

This is one of the six pack of beers from Van Steenberge now on holiday release at LCBO. I was going to pick Chimay Blue to review tonight but I thought I'd go with something lower gravity (since also I've got an Irish whiskey alongside the beer glass :)).

The Amber Ale drinks very well, lots of taste for its 5.2% abv. It has a typically Belgian top-fermented nose and taste and is a very natural, almost home-brew tasting ale. I thought it was bottle-conditioned, and the taste would suggest same, but it pours clear with no sediment evident in the dregs. It has a spicy, lightly bitter taste, with a fluffy head to cap the beer as it goes down in the glass. The beer is also very fresh and evidently bottled not all that long ago. Testament to the skill of Low Countries' brewing - and this is the lowest gravity of those in the pack.

I am looking forward to the Gulden Drak in the stoneware-type white bottle. I hear this is a dark Triple - which must be a first.

Gary

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

Gulden Drak is a belgian stong dark ale, often called ABT. It falls under the same style as Chimay 10, Rochefort 8 and 10, Westvleteren 8 and 12, Corsendonk Christmas, Unibroue Terrible (and to a lesser extent Trois Pistole), Abey de Rocs Grand Cru, etc.

It is a good example and one well worth having. Enjoy!

mustang3

Post by mustang3 »

I would say the GUlden Draak is worth buying the six pack for. THe other beers are good, Piraat in particular, but Gulden Draak is spectacular.

Rubaiyat

Post by Rubaiyat »

Gulden Draak is available year-round on consignment ... :-)

Cheers,

Paul

mustang3

Post by mustang3 »

How much for the gulden draak Paul? To be honest, other than Piraat I found the bottles in that 6 pack to be pretty average, but I still bought a second one just for a gulden draak. Fantatsic stuff.

Rubaiyat

Post by Rubaiyat »

gulden draak is $72 a case, mustang3 - all in.

cheers,

paul

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Rubaiyat wrote:gulden draak is $72 a case, mustang3 - all in.

cheers,

paul
If anyone is ordering a case I'd take half of your hands.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Rubaiyat wrote:Gulden Draak is available year-round on consignment ... :-)

Cheers,

Paul
What is the min. order quantity of the large cellar corked bottles?
Aventinus rules!

Rubaiyat

Post by Rubaiyat »

The large bottles come in cases of six. We don't normally import them. If you were interested -- they certainly have to be sold in full case lots. That's the law. In terms of bringing them in -- if there was interest -- we could do .. but we're looking at months. If there is interest we will do though.

Just a note, generally, best probably to actually make your purchase inquiries directly to us by e-mail (paul@greatdrinks.com) for no other reason than that they will be attended to probably more expeditiously than here and it's just tidier that way I think. No big deal though if you are willing just to sit and wait on bartowel. No problem.

Cheers,

Paul