Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Steelbacks

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Steelbacks

Post by SteelbackGuy »

So has anyone here gotten around to trying the stelback brands yet?

I sure have.

They might not be the highest esteemed beers in the world, but man oh man, what variety!

Red, Tango, Chain, Link, Premium, Tiverton Dark, and Tiverton Honey Brown!

Who could ask for much more?

So, what is everyone saying about these products?

I prefer the red myself!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

beanmedic

Post by beanmedic »

I generally don't drink beer that comes in plastic bottles. Gross.

beanmedic

Post by beanmedic »

I had to come back and post this because it is startling. Do you realize that Steelback Tango is the worst beer in the world? It's not a fluke, the Silver is the 14th worst in the world too.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TheWorstBeers.asp

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I didn't think they were that bad myself.

Isn't this site about promoting micro breweries and craft beer?

I don't know, I just thought they counted, and I didnt see any posts on them.

I thought tango danced on my palate. Nice kiss of lime.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Kid Presentable

Post by Kid Presentable »

do you work for steelback or something? while this is a forum to promote micros and craft beer, it isn't a forum to blatently promote your own company poorly disguised as a member. I've tried everything from steelback and I find them all to be pretty piss poor. sucks to variety if they're all bad.

kp

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Of course he works for them. Thats blatently obvious.

You should rename the Tango to the Toilet Tango.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

You should rename the Tango to the Toilet Tango.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Aventinus rules!

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

I've got to be careful here but you have to experience Steelback (sp?) Blue Thunder. High gravity brewing allows you to brew at 8% abv and cut with water to whatever level you desire (5% normal/pilsner, 4% light or 6% strong/ice). Labatt, Molson, Sleeman, Lakeport, Brick have long taken advantage of this for the vast array of brands from one wort that they brew. It gives capacity and efficiency.

But... Blue Thunder is one of the most interesting taste experiences I have encountered yet. In North American products, high gravity beer (8% abv) tends to be grossly unbalanced in the alcohol to body/hop ratio but works out once it is blended and filtered. This stuff is a taste phenomenon that I have trouble putting to words. I know what the bartender in Kincardine called it but I can't repeat that here. I encourage one and all who consider themselves rational judges of beer to seek out a single bottle of this and post their reactions. It is truly unique.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Rob Creighton wrote:I've got to be careful here but you have to experience Steelback (sp?) Blue Thunder. High gravity brewing allows you to brew at 8% abv and cut with water to whatever level you desire (5% normal/pilsner, 4% light or 6% strong/ice). Labatt, Molson, Sleeman, Lakeport, Brick have long taken advantage of this for the vast array of brands from one wort that they brew. It gives capacity and efficiency.

But... Blue Thunder is one of the most interesting taste experiences I have encountered yet. In North American products, high gravity beer (8% abv) tends to be grossly unbalanced in the alcohol to body/hop ratio but works out once it is blended and filtered. This stuff is a taste phenomenon that I have trouble putting to words. I know what the bartender in Kincardine called it but I can't repeat that here. I encourage one and all who consider themselves rational judges of beer to seek out a single bottle of this and post their reactions. It is truly unique.
Do they actually bottle and sell this? There is no mention of a Blue Thunder on their website.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Yeah now that the joke is over, is there a blue thunder available, cause I'll try anything once!

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

This pub is on the main drag in Kincardine and I saw a poster for S.B.T. on the wall. After asking the barmaid about it and being given her complete, unbiased feelings on the product, she went to the bar and poured me a sample - I think from a bottle in the fridge, but I was chatting to the waitress about how Steelback sells (or doesn't) up there.

It was truly awful IMHO. I don't know if was just unbalanced or if something else was happening. They had two other Steelback beers on tap but I went with an OJ to try and get the taste out of my mouth.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I'd drive miles to try a steelback on tap, just to say I've had my least favourite beer on tap.

I'm looking for this High ABV steelback now.....

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

It was truly awful IMHO. I don't know if was just unbalanced or if something else was happening. They had two other Steelback beers on tap but I went with an OJ to try and get the taste out of my mouth.
Probably a sample of the base HG fluid that they mix with water, color and other flavors to make the full line 5.5% beers.

I sampled the Steelback line once to say I have tried it and I will never soil my fridge or system with another one.....ever.
Aventinus rules!

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

pootz wrote:Probably a sample of the base HG fluid that they mix with water, color and other flavors to make the full line 5.5% beers.
Pootz -

In order to make it through every day, I have to believe that someone actually drank this and decided it was a great idea to put it on the shelf. I know things can go wrong in processing and possibly we are all granted 1 major screw up but I believe this is one of those classic f**k ups. Nobody in their right mind could endorse this crap.

When I was in the packaging business I had a customer in Baltimore that wanted to put out 'Pit Bull Malt Liquor' for the American inner city market. The notion was that we (the printer) would put a playing card on the back of the label in the same colour as the beer, making it invisible on a clear 64oz bottle. Studies showed that the average 6'4" 250lb urban black male would drink 5 of these during an afternoon and have a poker hand to gamble with. Note: we are talking 320 oz of 8% abv beer here. I would be dead and not from a drug deal gone wrong.

The Tiverton BT's is a truly a horrific product. Somewhere self respect has to fall into it and this product doesn't have it. I am eager to hear a glowing review of this telling me that I got a bad sample. Here's hoping.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Rob Creighton wrote: When I was in the packaging business I had a customer in Baltimore that wanted to put out 'Pit Bull Malt Liquor' for the American inner city market. The notion was that we (the printer) would put a playing card on the back of the label in the same colour as the beer, making it invisible on a clear 64oz bottle. Studies showed that the average 6'4" 250lb urban black male would drink 5 of these during an afternoon and have a poker hand to gamble with. Note: we are talking 320 oz of 8% abv beer here.
Don't you mean a 40 oz. bottle? That's the traditional US inner city serving size for malt liquor.

Still makes a helluvalot of 8% to be putting into your body in one afternoon, of course...