Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Old Peculiar Cask-Conditioned

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

old faithful
Bar Fly

Old Peculiar Cask-Conditioned

Post by old faithful »

I tried this last night at Caffe Volo and was wowed by the quality. First, the beer in this form is quite different from regular Peculiar at the Granite. The unfiltered nature is evident and the final cask maturation adds that extra 'je ne sais quoi'. Cask treatment makes it a very English-tasting pint, as English as Maclean Pale Ale but just a different style of English (more Northern, truer to the roots of the original Old Peculier). If there is any difference from the original Peculier I would say the latter has a more estery character, but Ron's version is great too, just a little different. This proves to me that there is a world of difference between regular, even unpasteurised, beer and this truer form of ale, the cask-matured form. Only in wheat beer (e.g. Michael's fine Denison's Weisse) does one approach the kind of complex/fresh character cask-conditioning can give. But Publicans, handle the beer carefully. Don't serve it too cloudy, it should pour almost perfectly clear after being left to settle for the right amount of time and (ideally) being spiled to ensure it isn't too fizzy. Brewers: finings added before despatch will help to ensure the beer drops bright. Even experienced tasters appreciate a cler pint. And, that way, the yeast presence is there but does not over-dominate.

This reminds me to stop by Granite soon to try their own range of cask ales.

Gary

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

old faithful wrote: First, the beer in this form is quite different from regular Peculiar at the Granite.
Do they not serve Peculiar cask conditioned at the Granite in Toronto? The Granite here in Halifax has the Peculier, Best Bitter, Best Bitter Special, and IPA on the Hand Pumps regularly. I don't think they have Peculiar in regular keg form at all.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Old Peculiar at Granite in Toronto has never (that I have seen) been available on handpump. The ones that have been are IPA, Dry Hop, and sometimes the Keefe Stout, oh also, Summer Ale. Best Bitter was, too, at the Danforth outlet that is now sadly closed (Beer Street). Really, Ron should serve Peculiar cask-conditioned (I think I knew Kevin does in Halifax) because I think it would be his best beer, but he hasn't done so for some reason. Well now it available at least occasionally at Volo, so the choice is there.

Gary

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Summer ale was cask conditioned at one time, but no longer is (or at least wasn't last summer). Echoing the comments above, I've found I like the Summer Ale less now that it is not cask conditioned.

DougShoemaker

Post by DougShoemaker »

Just one tiny thing wrong here. This is not Old Peculier, which is brewed by Theakstons in England, it is Granite Peculiar, which apparently was inspired by the Theakstons' version. A very nice beer too, but Old Peculier is something quite different.

Cheers, Doug

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

No confusion here, I know Old Peculier in England well, and I know Peculiar at the Granite well. The former is an inspiration for the latter. In fact, there is quite a resemblance, except the English one has a more estery character.

Gary