Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Andechs Special Hell

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Andechs Special Hell

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I keep finding this at the beer store, and it is pretty tasty stuff, bit I am startled at the lack of ratings on RB.

Is this stuff hard to come by?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I keep finding this at the beer store, and it is pretty tasty stuff, bit I am startled at the lack of ratings on RB.

Is this stuff hard to come by?
I was thinking yes, but after reviewing some of the ratings on RB and the Beer Store web site, I see this version is brewed for Andechs by Brick.

I wonder if they have any kind of distribution deal in place so that their Doppelbock Dunkel could make its way across the ocean...

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

It is available intermittently at Beer Store but possibly is a regular offering at Brick in Waterloo. I used to buy this 10 years ago and at the time it had a unique flavour, quite heavy-bodied with a distinctive mineral note. In recent years I found it changed and stopped buying it. I should try it again, maybe it is back to what it was. I remember once tasting the German original against Brick's licensed version with Steve Beaumont and Mike Hancock (aka The Brewer) and we all agreed (if memory serves) the Canadian version was better than the original. I can't imagine that Brick makes very much money on the brand and I wonder why they persist with it, but it is good to see it out there and I plan to pick some up soon.

Gary

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

I may be having a skull cramp but didn't F&M contract brew Andech's for quite a while?

Salut Steve

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Yup, skull cramp. Jim Brickman is the one that originally cut the Andech's deal and it has remained in place since (in Ontario). We (F&M) have never brewed the product.

I am curious as to how often it is produced. The demand has always been low but it makes for great brewing history press on occasion for Brick (and a few classic journeys to Europe). 8)

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Rob,
Was there a product F&M was brewing but lost/gave up the contract for in the last couple of years?

Jeff

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

Rob is right, the problem that Brick has with Andechs is maintaining product freshness, as it is not brewed very frequently. If you know how to read the code dates then you'll know what to expect.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Gunny,
F&M did Saint Andre's for Doug Pengelly for its first couple of years and then Doug moved production to Cool in Brampton. I think Guelph was slightly outside the effective range of Doug's Citreon. I remember seeing it broken down alongside a highway or two back in those days. :D

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Thanks for the clarification Rob.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I enquired at the Brewery as to the ETA of the next Brew of Andechs and was told that it is out of production indefinately due to some licencing issues with Andechs...now this was in early Fall 04...I haven't see Andechs since. I look for it and ask every time I make it into the brewery store.

There were some dirty rumors floating that Sleeman had picked it up???
Aventinus rules!