Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Robert Simpson's COnfederation Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Robert Simpson's COnfederation Ale

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Well, what's everyone waiting for?
Go out and get some.

It's really refreshing, and has a very unique honey sort of meadish quality that was very suprising.

Suprised there hasn't been any hype on here about it.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Well, what's everyone waiting for?
Go out and get some.

It's really refreshing, and has a very unique honey sort of meadish quality that was very suprising.

Suprised there hasn't been any hype on here about it.
Had some a month ago and had some chatter here and no response ...guess no one tried it. It's a true cream ale.
Aventinus rules!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Yes it's very tasty.

A very promising start for one of Ontario's newest micro-breweries.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Yes it's very tasty.

I See RB has it mis classified as a "golden ale".....not likely.
Aventinus rules!

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

It has a unique taste, but to me it's more like peaches than anything else. A bit thin but still a decent enough beer to pick up now and then.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

It's a reasonable beer but certainly not something that deserves "hype" on this forum as Steelbackguy suggests. I do give them credit for nice packaging...the six packs caught my eye the other day in the Queen's Quay LCBO because of those shiny maple leafs printed over the bright red coloured box.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Jon Walker wrote:It's a reasonable beer but certainly not something that deserves "hype" on this forum as Steelbackguy suggests.

Well I really enjoyed it, and that's what this fourm is all about....

Letting eachother know what we think about different bers.

I'm no expert, but I know I really ejoyed it, so it deserves "hype" in my opinion.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Does anyone know which Beer Store locations in central Toronto are carrying this beer? The Beer Store website doesn't have a "see stores that stock this product" option like the LCBO site.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

GregClow wrote:Does anyone know which Beer Store locations in central Toronto are carrying this beer? The Beer Store website doesn't have a "see stores that stock this product" option like the LCBO site.
Actually the Beer Store site does have that option, just not immediately noticeable. Go select the Store Locator and punch in your postal code. Several stores get listed near you. Click on a store. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Brands at this Store Click Here link.

A real search would be better of course.

EDIT: The Summerhill Beer Store has that beer listed.
lister

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

pootz wrote:

Pootz, you must have missed this part of the brewer's description of the beer:

"We take our time gently crafting Conferation Ale in our waterfront brewery using good old-fashioned care and the finest ingredients: seven select grains of malted barley, specialty hops, premium yeast, and the purest water from our natural spring. Our long-aged rich golden ale pours with a thich rocky croawn revealing a subtle hint of malty sweetness and an elegant hop finish."

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Josh Oakes wrote:
pootz wrote:

Pootz, you must have missed this part of the brewer's description of the beer:

"We take our time gently crafting Conferation Ale in our waterfront brewery using good old-fashioned care and the finest ingredients: seven select grains of malted barley, specialty hops, premium yeast, and the purest water from our natural spring. Our long-aged rich golden ale pours with a thich rocky croawn revealing a subtle hint of malty sweetness and an elegant hop finish."
I was just going on the brewer's description of the process Josh. I talked to a sales/production guy briefly when I was trying to find where I could buy some. What he described to me was a cream ale process.....which is all malt wort, ale yeast pitched at lager fermenting temperatures then a long second stage lagering at cool temps. It is an ale (top fermented, ale hopped) done in the lager process. That fits one of the guides for a cream ale ( aside from post fermentation blending or yeast blending). When the roads clear in the spring I intend to do a bike run to the brewery for a tour to see for myself.

Second, the production manager assured me that there was nothing but barley malt in their wort , no adjuncts, this would preclude it from addition to the golden ale category as per this style description standard from RB:
There are a few different types of blond ale. The first is the traditional “Canadian Ale”, an adjunct-laden, macrobrewed, top-fermented equivalent of the American Standard
At any rate it could be either if you went by BJCP standards...and this is really semantics....I just enjoy their product for what it is...which is well made, mellow, flavorful and drinkable...a good standard quaff.

Josh, it would not surprise me at all if the marketing end of this business were a little lacking in beer nomenclature. Looking at the spastic marketing dialogue and gimmicks on the packaging, it's apparent the Marketing people do not talk to the brewing people. :wink: Like, what's up with the concept behind the label thermometer and the cold serving temp?...this ale actually tastes much better warmer than the near freezing temp they suggest. Do these people think they are still flogging fizzy yeller corn juice that has to near frozen to take the raw edge off it?
Aventinus rules!

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I bought this today and think it is very good, it has a complex (relatively) malt taste with a firm fresh hop background. The beer is faintly cloudy in the glass, and I have no issue with that. It has a soft mouth feel, too. The carbonation is there but not aggressive. I am sure it is even better on draught but the bottling was done well, there are no off-flavours. The packaging reminds me of, and I am sure was intended generally to evoke, the big brewery bottles of the era just before the stubbies came in. The neck flashes and rest of the package evoke that image for me. Early 60's retro style, you might say, which is cool. Excellent effort and I wish them well with it.

Gary