Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Molson Kick

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Good thoughts there on the image and lifestyle issues. I don't think advertising or even capitalism by the way has anything to do with it; humans by nature are competitive - and cooperative - and wanting to be perceived a certain way, as succesful, is just a part of being human I think. All people have to decide how far to go to show conformity or individuality - but ironically the latter is often a version of the former. I never had any trouble by the way in telling the good rock groups from the bad. :)

With respect to beer and caffeine, I am sure the companies checked out all the legals on that. My own opinion is, caffeine is so prevalent in coffee, tea and cola drinks, how can a little added to a beer someone has a couple of on a weekend make a difference? How is that different from having coffee after a few beers at the end of a late evening? Is coffee addictive? Yes to a degree, but so are a lot of things, I've been trying to go a week without chocolate and french fries and its damn hard! I once stopped coffee for a week a few years ago, yes I had a mild headache but regular aspirin took it away, the withdrawal was nothing to what you like described, Joey. Stopping cigarettes was a lot harder but even that was mostly a psychological thing, for me anyway.

Gary

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Greg: I too consider myself somewhat of a sheep. Bah! I wasn't suggesting any blindness or naivity on your part. Your statement about the "marketing" contingent recognizing the "anti-ad" contingent supports your previous statement about you being "far more critical." I feel we are similar in that respect, though I am probably a little more willing to buy in to the marketing. But at least I know I'm being duped. :)

Gary: I had a hell of time getting off of caffeine. I used to get almost crippling headaches if I didn't have a coffee or two in the morning. I can't compare it to any other addiction. I'm not suggesting, however, that coffee, cola, or chocolate be banned. I can now drink a coffee without any ill affects (except, perphaps, lack of sleep). I do think caffeine and alcohol together in this beer is somewhat different than other non- alcoholic caffeine vehicles or even other alcoholic drinks that have a caffeine component (cola & spirits, hard coffees, etc.). First, this been is marketed the binge drinking demographic. Second, the addictive effects of the alcohol and caffeine may be confused. I wonder what the reaction would be if nicotine were added to beer?
Last edited by joey_capps on Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Well, good to hear you are okay with coffee now - I guess it really does affect different people differently. Of course, alcohol does too. In the end I think we all have to know our limit, our tolerance, with all these substances. As far as Molson Kick goes, I don't think it will make a big splash, I think it will come and go so the caffeine thing may be moot.

gary

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

old faithful wrote:Well, good to hear you are okay with coffee now - I guess it really does affect different people differently. Of course, alcohol does too. In the end I think we all have to know our limit, our tolerance, with all these substances. As far as Molson Kick goes, I don't think it will make a big splash, I think it will come and go so the caffeine thing may be moot.

gary
Let's hope so.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

joey_capps wrote:I'm surprised that no one is yet speaking out against combining alcohol with such a highly addictive substance.
Not quite the same thing but I have been mouthing off about the joys of mixing a stimulant with a depressant. Did we learn nothing from Elvis people?????

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I want to add that Corona Extra is an all-malt beer and a good example of a quality mass market product. It has a clean, definable taste with a characteristic hop flavor. Given the chance to drink Corona over almost any "Euro lager" I'll usually take the Corona, it is generally a better beer. I don't think a beer like this could have become famous by a fluke. Yes, its bottle design caught on - that part was a fluke - but its success was due to more than that - it is an excellent beer. It doesn't need lime for taste, if anything lime kills its taste and I never use lime with Corona (or any beer). Corona is not a microbrewed beer but it is tops in its class. I used to worry about the clear bottle but I believe it is almost never skunked due to its high turnover and also how it is made. By the way I can't see any contradiction in liking Corona and, say, Trois Pistoles or Cameron's Lager or Grant's Imperial Russian Stout, to me they are all fine brews. Contrarily there are beers in each of these classes that I don't like. I realise not everyone shares this view but it is one I've held for a long time and long before Corona became the huge seller it is today.

Gary

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

old faithful wrote:I want to add that Corona Extra is an all-malt beer and a good example of a quality mass market product. It has a clean, definable taste with a characteristic hop flavor. Given the chance to drink Corona over almost any "Euro lager" I'll usually take the Corona, it is generally a better beer. I don't think a beer like this could have become famous by a fluke. Yes, its bottle design caught on - that part was a fluke - but its success was due to more than that - it is an excellent beer. It doesn't need lime for taste, if anything lime kills its taste and I never use lime with Corona (or any beer). Corona is not a microbrewed beer but it is tops in its class. I used to worry about the clear bottle but I believe it is almost never skunked due to its high turnover and also how it is made. By the way I can't see any contradiction in liking Corona and, say, Trois Pistoles or Cameron's Lager or Grant's Imperial Russian Stout, to me they are all fine brews. Contrarily there are beers in each of these classes that I don't like. I realise not everyone shares this view but it is one I've held for a long time and long before Corona became the huge seller it is today.

Gary
Gary, hate to burst your bubble but unless you hanging out in Mexico in the '20s-70's or California in the early 80's, it was already a huge seller by the time you got to it.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Late 70's in Southern Cal, Josh, and it was nothing (in sales) to what it later became. Even if it was a big nationwide seller when I first sampled it, I didn't know it.

Gary

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Funny you should say that - is Corona really all malt? I've always secretly preferred Corona over Canadian or Export or Blue, etc. (if those are the only choices available at some unfortunate event), but I've also always wondered if I was just falling victim to the advertising, the packaging, the lime, or whatever.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

This is how I interpret the info on their web site, see the FAQ at www.corona.com. It doesn't taste like an adjunct beer, that sourish corny edge, it doesn't have that.

Gary

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

We got a really good deal on a couple of metric tonnes of guano.
All we have to do now is work on a recipe, get a funky multizillion marketing campaign, hire siliconly enhanced attractive rental staff and let it fly on the market until the next big thing comes along :o
(HEHEHEHEHEEHEHEHEHE)
Ken

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

Gary, I'm just being a little cautious here, but don't you think that corn syrup (and a number of other things) could fall under the first group of ingredients, "all natural ingredients"?

From their FAQ on their website:

What Are the Ingredients of Corona Extra?

Corona Extra is made with all natural ingredients, water, barley, hops and yeast

It would be misleading but not a lie if this were the case.

Michael
Last edited by the.brewer on Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

That's funny Ken, forget the silicone, I thought that you were pursuing the cherry.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Yes it is possible to read it the way you suggest, Michael, but it is also possible to read it the other way which is what I thought was meant, i.e., the natural ingredients are precisely water malt hops and yeast. I thought I read years ago somewhere that Corona is an all-malt beer. But whether it is or isn't, in fresh condition it is a good mass produced product, it has an interesting earthy taste I like. On the light side to be sure but sometimes that is a plus. Oddly perhaps, I was tasting it recently with a beer a friend brought me from Victoria called Phoenix Lager, sold in a stubbie bottle. This Phoenix is very good, it has a rich honeyed malt taste with a fine flowery hop taste, very well-made and stylish. Both are completely different beers but equally valid, e.g. Corona would go better with a meal I think, or on the beach, the Phoenix is more for those late afternoon quiet moments. Some large brewery beers just have the right balance for me, e.g. Stella Artois (preferably on draft but the bottled one is good too - I don't care much for the canned version). Some beers, e.g. 1664, I've tried to like it but there is something about them I can't get past, same thing with Lowenbrau. Everyone's palate is different and I realise many people like these beers.

Gary

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Asst. Grain Shoveller wrote:We got a really good deal on a couple of metric tonnes of guano.
All we have to do now is work on a recipe, get a funky multizillion marketing campaign, hire siliconly enhanced attractive rental staff and let it fly on the market until the next big thing comes along :o
(HEHEHEHEHEEHEHEHEHE)
Ken
Give it a whirl Ken....Might get a chunk of the kiddie pop market. Bat guano in a Molcoor corn brew couldn't be any worse than what ever it is in this Kick drink...it sucks worse than a straight up Molcoorbatt.
Aventinus rules!