Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Wellington headstrong APA now in bottles

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I tried the HEADSTRONG PALE ALE the other night and it went over extremely well with my tastebuds. Rather big bottle, but nice balanced brew with malts to set off a bitter character not unlike Sgt Majors in hop flavor. Speaking of the Sarge...
lister wrote:I picked up a case of six. :o I don't know about the tastebuds you guys have got. Yowzers! How the heck is that refreshing to drink?! I'll give it another go later in the week but the hand is firmly gripping the hammer...

With apologies to Mr. Adams, it's like having your tongue smashed out by a bushel of brussel sprouts wrapped round a large concrete block.
I find it deeply satisfying, maybe our taste perceptions are fairly different.

See how hit hits you next time. Are you drinking it ice cold, that makes it too bitter for some people. Hope I haven't mislead you, shoot I would feel bad. I did say I'd buy it from you.
In Beerum Veritas

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

I bought two bottles of it yesterday. I was delighted by the price - $2.75 I think - for a 650 ml bottles so there's no excuse for not trying the stuff. The Rogue Yellow Snow Ale I also purchased was twice the price. It certainly has a stronger taste than most pale ales I've tried - indeed it was jarring at first - and it would not make a good session beer but I did enjoy it and will purchase it again.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yes, for only 2.95 it kick's Rogue's butt in value, hee hee. Different beer though.

Very nice from the LCBO on Cooper... it sells quickly from the cooler section there so it's very un-damaged.

HEADSTRONG is far more widely distributed than SGT. MAJOR, and a good intro/transition to that kind of hoppiness (set off with more malts.)

Side note: the Elora ESB being sold next to it was a bit nondescript, and reminded me somewhat of a starter kit homebrew. I didn't even attempt the other Elora one. Too bad as I like to buy local! But we count our blessings...
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:I find it deeply satisfying, maybe our taste perceptions are fairly different.
I think they are. Bitter and me usually don't get along too well.
See how hit hits you next time. Are you drinking it ice cold, that makes it too bitter for some people. Hope I haven't mislead you, shoot I would feel bad. I did say I'd buy it from you.
When I try new drinks I usually chill them and then slowly drink over time to check the flavours out as they warm up. I'll give it another go...
lister

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

Jon Walker wrote:B.A. you're becoming pedantic and more than a little tiring.
Then, as I suggested earlier, don't read my posts. That should solve your problems quite neatly, I would imagine.
I disagree with you (as do others) and THAT is what a forum is about. If you expect us to all fall in line with your divine beer wisdom then give your head a shake.
Then you might want to get used to my disagreeing with you and giving reasoned arguments, something which should not be totally abnormal on a discussion forum about beer. And why do you think that I would care whether you fall in line with my divine wisdom or not? I simply stated my view and when challenged gave my reasoning. I am sorry that this seems to be problematic for you.

I would also point out the total hypocrisy in your post to which I was responding in which you said:
Who cares? It's a hybrid so why the desperate need to slap a nationality on it?
For your information, a hybrid in this sense is a stated nationality of origin for a style as much as English or American separately.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Having finally taken the time to try a bottle of this, I must say that I'm a bit surprised that it sparked such an intense debate. There are beers whose character is clearly English, there are those that are clearly American, and there are, increasingly, those that straddle the fence. If it wasn't for the initial commercial description that stressed its Englishness, I don't think that there would be any question that Headstrong belongs in the second category. But whatever...

I'll echo tupalev's earlier comments, and say that I, too, was pleasantly surprised by the Headstrong. Full flavour, good balance, with a plentiful Cascade character that I really enjoyed (if this is too hoppy/bitter, then so must Sierra Nevada Pale Ale). As others have said, it's also great value. Like Anchor Liberty and Sgt. Major's, this is going to be a regular purchase for me.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Can we call it an anglo-american Pale Ale? I actually haven't tried it from a bottle yet, but will pick some up when I see it...

Lister: If you don't like other Pale Ales you've tried, and find them too bitter, than most certainly Sgt. Majors would blow your socks off as it's one of the most bitter (highest IBU's) of any Ontario beer you can find. Sounds like you should stick more with Best Bitters, or if even that is too bitter for you than go with Cream Ales, if you like darker malts, then try some Brown Ales, have you ever tried the Mild Ale from C'est What? It's on the sweeter side, very low Alcohol, but quite flavorful... You might also like Cameron's Auburn Ale... Not sure if they class it as a Pale Ale, but it's very well balanced and tasty...

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

JWalter wrote:Lister: If you don't like other Pale Ales you've tried, and find them too bitter, than most certainly Sgt. Majors would blow your socks off as it's one of the most bitter (highest IBU's) of any Ontario beer you can find. Sounds like you should stick more with Best Bitters, or if even that is too bitter for you than go with Cream Ales, if you like darker malts, then try some Brown Ales, have you ever tried the Mild Ale from C'est What? It's on the sweeter side, very low Alcohol, but quite flavorful... You might also like Cameron's Auburn Ale... Not sure if they class it as a Pale Ale, but it's very well balanced and tasty...
Yeah Sgt Majors packs a wallop! :o

I have tried some brown ales before most notably Amsterdam and Black Oak. I'll have them once in a while. I haven't tried C'est What's brown ale yet. It was going to one of the samples at my failed CW Spring whatever beer visit. It'll be something I try when I next go there. I have had a case of Cameron's Auburn Ale. It ranks a little higher on my drink list than Amsterdam and Black Oaks though I do prefer their cream ale more.
lister